NORA ROBERTS' Northern Lights (2009)

Although the Aurora Borealis is featured here and explained by one of its lead characters, this is movie is not exactly about it.  For more info about the Aurora Borealis, please click THIS ;-)  
This poster from Google images is beautiful, but it does not do justice to  LeeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian.  

NORA ROBERTS' NORTHERN LIGHTS is a Romantic drama about a Baltimore cop who relocates to a small town in Alaska to start a new life after his partner is killed. Tormented by the thought that he may have been partly responsible for the death, the cop must put aside his personal demons to solve a high profile murder which threatens his fledgling romance with a feisty bush pilot, whose negligent father is the deceased.-WWW
Initial release: 21 March 2009
Director: Mike Robe
Adapted from: Northern Lights
Story by: Nora Roberts (she is also the film's consultant) based on her novel
Teleplay by: Janet Brownell
Music by: Chris Bacon and Stuart Michael Thomas
Cinematography by: Craig Wrobleski
Production company: Mandalay Entertainment

Nora Roberts' NORTHERN LIGHTSis an exciting movie.  It's not sappy at all.


Nate Burns, a former Baltimore city homicide detective, is the new police chief in sleepy Lunacy, Alaska. The job comes with a free room in the 'lodge', the town's multi-purpose inn, pub etcetera run by 'loose' flirter Charlene Galligan. Sole deputy Otto Gruber is among the failed local applicants. Shortly after Nate gets on sensual-bickering terms with Charlene's fickle, estranged daughter, pilot Meg, lost mountaineers find the frozen corps of Meg's dad Pat, missing for 15 years. State police sergeant Coben dubiously claims jurisdiction and flies out the body. Nate soon discovers nothing is as it seems after Lunatic newspaper editor Max Hawbacker is found shot, with a fake suicide PC note 'I killed Pat'. Uncovering more past secret proves dangerous for dogs, Nate and his job. Written by KGF Vissers

Although I am a fan of the great Nora Roberts, I have yet to read the book, so I have nothing to compare it with.  Janet Brownell's teleplay is moving that it might as well have been made for the big screen.

While watching the movie I saw a great chemistry and I thought it was only believable because they acted so well, but I am so happy to find out that Eddie Cibrian and LeeAnn Rimes got married two years after Lifetime released this made for TV movie.  They met on the the set and are still going on strong and I pray that it would last a LIFETIME. 

Their love scenes were intense, but thankfully, since this is a TV movie, Meg and Nate's more passionate "scenes" were done closed doors.

I love LeeAnn Rimes and I sing her songs, but maybe I wasn't such a die hard fan because I do not know her personal life.  She's extra beautiful in this movie.  Did Eddie Cibrian bring that extra glow in her even then?

Eddie Cibrian is so charismatic.  He looks like a softie, but he could be tough.  I think he is perfect as Nate.  Maybe he's not the best actor there is, but he definitely could act. He's handsome too.  

Billy Merasty, who played Jacob, should have more movies with meatier roles.  He does have 39 roles as an actor on TV and the Big Screen so far, but I wish he would have bigger exposure.  He also acts on stage and is a very good writer.

Rosanna of the Arquette Kingdom (or should I say Queendom?) has always been a good actor/actress.  If I'm not mistaken, the first movie I've seen her in is DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN and I've admired her since then.  Here, I believe, she was able to make us look inside Charlene's soul.  

Stephen Huszar's role was short, but important(of course, he's the first murder victim in this story). Judging from his acting and his delivery of his dialogue, I can safely surmise that Pat is a kind man.  Of course, during those first scenes I did not know his name yet, but when he is discovered by the mountain climbers... Anyways, Mr. Huszar's acting and his offering his friend a beef jerky made me realise that Pat Galligan is a very thoughtful man.

The other actors were a mixed of good and okay, but maybe I should commend Rocky and the Bear.  They were awesome!

Thanks a bunch for your time.

Hope you stay safe wherever you are.  


Cast from Wikipedia(the page has spoilers so it's a good thing I visited the page after watching the movie) and imdb:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)