Summer of Dreams (2016)

A fading pop star (Debbie Gibson) who is on the verge of losing everything finds inspiration when she relocates to suburban Ohio and begins teaching music to a talented group of misfit children. -WWW
Director: Michael Rohl
Writers: Neal H. Dobrofsky and Tippi Dobrofsky
Running time: 1h 25m

Debbie Gibson(and Tiffany) were the biggest pop stars in the 1980s.  I even did covers of her songs in the Universal Studios Hollywood(Lost in Your Eyes, No More Rhyme, Out of the Blue, Foolish Beat, Only in My Dreams, Sure etc.) and I admired her a lot.  When I saw by accident that she had a TV movie that would have a sequel soon called Dream On(working title...would focus on Johnny, her protégé Johnny played by Mitchell Kummen), I know I had to watch it.

Debbie here stars as Debbie Taylor, a has been pop star, and it suits her to a T.  

She still has her vibrant personality and she has not lost her touch.  

The internet describes the kids as misfits, but maybe, just maybe, they were thinking of other movies like Sister Act et cetera.  If above average students are misfits, then maybe, just maybe, they are right. 

The kids in this class really want to learn and they want someone to give them their time because they want to do well in singing at the prom.

Of course, this is a Hallmark movie, there should be a love story and Debbie has with a longtime fan, a guidance counselor(Robert Gant) at the High School where she started teaching music.

She has good onscreen chemistry with him and there's magic when they are together.  Their scenes are not mushy and so beautiful. Those are the types of moments I like...want in my life.  There's something about getting lost in Robert Gant's eyes, and in Debbie Taylor's case, in Noah Burns' eyes. Sigh... (with dreamy eyes---hehehehe).  They looked so good together that one would forget that in real life...well, it doesn't matter.  They are a believable couple and that's fine in my book.  

The moments with her sister(Pascale Hutton), brother-in-law(Lane Edwards) and niece(Lauren McNamara) are so heartwarming.  Of course, there's the usual sibling "thing" of being in the shadow of the more popular one, but thankfully they didn't dwell on that.

I think this is one of the best mentorship/mentoring movie I've ever seen and I already love a lot of them.  It's a bit predictable, but there were some surprises along the way.

Right now I am listening to her on Spotify and I kind of feel young again.

Anyways, I think I'll cut this short.

Hope you get to see it too.

Thanks for your time.


CAST:

Debbie Gibson as Debbie Taylor
Robert Gant as Noah Burns
Pascale Hutton as Denise
Lane Edwards as Tim
Ken Tremblett as Ray Royce
Lauren McNamara as Natalie

Daniel Bacon as Mattress Store Manager
Shon Burnett as Ryan
Simon Chin as Store Owner
Eric Gibson as Oliver
Mitchell Kummen .as Johnny
Nicole Major as Pretty Girl
Zenia Marshall as Ashley
Marcus Rosner as Liam
Olivia Ryan Stern as Kacey
Jacqueline Samuda as Ashley's mother
Sean Thomas as Nick
Keenan Tracey as Dylan
Farryn VanHumbeck as Shelley
Anita Yung as Darryl




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)