Clark marries Buffy: Operation Cupcake (2012)



Director: Bradford May
Writers: Neal H. Dobrofsky and Tippi Dobrofsky
When Army Colonel Griff Carson returns home from Germany on a two-month leave, he considers retiring if he doesn't get promoted to General. Being away on deployment has been hard on Griff, separating him from his wife Janet and two teenagers, Kim and Ollie. With his kids growing up and his wife busy opening a second bakeshop with a slimy business partner, Griff suddenly feels he no longer fits into his own family. Hoping to give him a sense of duty, Janet assigns him to help run her quaint cupcake shop. At first reluctant, Griff starts to take a military approach to his new job, never expecting it to backfire. Soon the bakery is a war zone, and one final screw-up almost sends the place up in smoke. Frustrated, Janet threatens to cut him out of their lives for good if he can't adjust to civilian family life. Refusing to give up, Griff is determined to prove to his family he's ready to be a full-time father, or else face the lonely life of a solitary military man.
Anonymous

CLARK:
Dean Cain is one of those crushes in the 1990s(LOIS and CLARK) that wasn't harmless.  No, I never stalked the guy or anything and my feelings were not like Alex Forrest(Glenn Close)'s feelings towards Dan Gallagher(Michael Douglas) in FATAL ATTRACTION(1987), but I had an unhealthy crush on him because I was actually dreaming that one he could fall in love with me or something.  It's the type where I wasn't happy for him when he had a relationship.  It's crazy and very harmful to ME, I know, but I never lost touch with reality.  Thankfully, I got over that.  In 2014, Brooke Shields included him in her memoirs as her first intimate love while they were studying in Princeton.  My admiration for him was already harmless, but it transcended to higher heights because he didn't brag about him being the first, instead he said they were in love during that time and it wasn't anything sordid or whatever.  People also quashed all their thoughts that Brooke Shields was already sleeping around when she was a teenager because she was already 22 when that happened.

BUFFY:

Kristy Swanson was one of my favourites in the 1980s to the 1990s.  I watched her movies and I was a fan of her TV show BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.  In the late 1980s she became famous for the line, "No problem whatsoever!"(FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF) because she was so cheerful when she said it.  People were even imitating the way she said it.  I think she's also one of John Hughes's favourites because she was also in PRETTY IN PINK.  She was also very impressive as Jody in KNOTTS LANDING et cetera, et cetera.  As Jessie the cursed beloved of Jason in MANNEQUIN: ON THE MOVIE, she looked like Barbie.

So there.  Dean Cain and Kristy Swanson were two of my faves, so when I learned that they were together in OPERATION CUPCAKE(2012), I told myself, "You better watch this, Veronica!"

So I did.

RELATING TO THE MOVIE
As a military brat I have mixed feelings about the decision of Colonel Griffin "Griff" Carson towards the end of the film, but I really can't blame him because he had to stay away from his family a long, long time since he was assigned to Germany when the kids were little.

There were only two times we were separated from dad when we were little, but only for a few months.  He brought us everywhere.  Maybe it was different because he was never engaged in war during those times.  While growing up, it was, in a way, my mom who was strict.  Dad taught me how to drink and smell alcohol, so I would know the difference if it some alien ingredients were added, and honestly, I sent someone to rehab because of this.  Thankfully he is reformed now and is now serving and God with his whole heart, soul, mind, and strength.  He allowed me to date at a very young age, that had a good effect on me because every time I had the chance to be wild, his kindness and lenience would make me feel so guilty.

Dad wanted me to experience Dormitory Life in College, but mom didn't, so I had to commute going to and fro Quezon City, which is about 30 kilometres, more or less, away from our house.  I was also brought to school and fetched from time to time, because PG and RJ missed their big sister.

Was Dean Cain able to portray a Colonel well?  It was kind of exaggerated, but maybe that was what the writer intended Col. Carson to be.  I guess he did OK.  

Kristy Swanson is still very pretty, and because of that, her role, besides being a good mother, baker and entrepreneur, two men were fighting over her, but she, I mean Janet, her role, was very unassuming.  

The movie is the not the best ever made, but it works.

There are a few surprises towards the end that I kinda hoped it would happen when Griff said about Harley, "He's going to BRING someone..."  It's kind of sweet... Wait, let me correct myself.  It's sweet.

THE REST OF THE TROOP
My favourite among the members of the supporting cast is Donna Pescow.  She is still very much around, but she has been active as actor since the 1970s.  

The kids, they are beautiful/handsome in their own right, but to be the children of Janet and Griff...well, I just don't see the resemblance.  Notwithstanding that fact, I think they did well.

Oh, I was glad that William R. Moses is in this movie as General Brown, and Wade Williams did fine as Harley.


䷆⊩䷆⊩䷆⊩䷆⊩
I guess that's all I have to say.

Thank you so much for your time.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)