Double Twisting Double Back (2018) R-16

Source
Written and Directed by Joseph Abello
To be completely honest, and I can only speak for myself, I was very edgy and ambivalent about this movie.  I knew I was going to watch this months even before it was shown.  At least three of my friends were...are involved in this film, one way or another, so I conditioned myself, and also managed my expectations.

THE VERY FIRST MOVIE ABOUT PHILIPPINE GYMNASTICS

Gymnastics is not the number one sports in the country, even if we have great gymnasts who are not given a chance to hone their craft.

Other countries have good training programs.  We can't always give the lame excuse that we don't have the budget for it.

Our national athletes are forced to have military training.  I saw our runners train under the heat of the sun and not eat healthy food.

I'm glad it was tackled in this movie.

D.I.D.

Dissociative identity disorder (DID), also known as multiple personality disorder, is a mental disorder characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring personality states.

This movie is about battling with your demons, so to speak.  

JOEM BASCON once again proves his versatility in this movie.  He is Mr. Hyde to TONY LABRUSCA's Dr. Jekyll.

Mr. Labrusca, whom I first saw in a TV ad about a famous burger before seeing him audition for Pinoy Boyband Superstar, is more than his father's son(Boom Labrusca).  When he was homeschooled and had nothing better to do during his free time, he had training in gymnastics, but this was put to a halt when he transferred to Canada.

When the role was given to him, he underwent strenuous training, and it paid off in the movie.

The movie is R-18 for me, because it is very graphic.

Nevertheless, this is a very awesome movie.  It is superbly acted by the two lead stars, and the rest of the troop did their jobs well.

There are many movies that tackled this type of disorder, and one of them is SPLIT(there's a sequel coming) starring James McAvoy.  An older one is SYBIL starring Sally Field in 1976 and Jessica Lange in 2007.

Fight Club kind of ripped my heart, but it is very compelling too.  It stars Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

Primal Fear is also one of the most unforgettable ones also starring Edward Norton alongside Richard Gere. 

Jim Carrey tried to lighten it up in Me, Myself and Irene.  

Who could forget Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho?  

Sigh.  I could go on and on and on and on.

This movie, Double Twisting Double Back, a gymnastics move, is fit to be distributed worldwide.  I believe the international award giving bodies should give them more than accolades.  I also believe the mother company of Cinema 1 should release this commercially too, and market it well.

People's minds should be open to the realities this movie has presented in the form of, for lack of a better term, fantasy. 

The roots of the disorder are deep, especially in Badger's case, but I am glad that he was able to win his battle.

How?

Watch the movie to find out.  

October 18, Thursday
2:30 pm SM North Edsa Cinema 7
3 pm Cinema 76 San Juan
3 pm Cinema 76 Anonas
4:30 pm SM Sta. Mesa Cinema 10
5 pm SM Manila Cinema 7
9:45 pm Powerplant Cinema 1
11 pm Cinema Centenario

October 19, Friday
12:30 pm Gateway Cinema 6
2 pm Black Maria Cinema
4:30 pm SM Megamall Cinema 5
9 pm Santolan Town Plaza Cinema 4
9:30 pm Glorietta Cinema 4

October 20, Saturday
5 pm Trinoma Cinema 4
5:15 pm SM sta. mesa cinema 10
9:30 pm Gateway Cinema 6

October 21, Sunday
1 pm Cinematheque Manila
2 pm Black Maria Cinema
3 pm Cinema 76 San Juan
3 pm Cinema 76 Anonas
5 pm Santolan Town Plaza Cinema 4
7 pm SM North Edsa Cinema 7
9 pm Cinema Centenario
9:30 pm SM Sta. Mesa Cinema 10
9:30 pm Trinoma Cinema 4
10:15 pm SM Manila Cinema 7

October 22, Monday
2 pm UP Cine Adarna

October 23, Tuesday

7 pm UP Cine Adarna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)