Three Christian Movies: "Another Perfect Stranger", "Where Is My Home?" and God's Compass

(2016-17)

Written and Directed by 

Stephan Schultze

Karen Abercrombie ... Suzanne Waters
T.C. Stallings ... David Isaac Waters
Jazelle Foster ... Jessica Waters
Joey Ibañez ... Eli
Henry W. Laster ... Lecture Attendee
Thomas Lee Baker ...  Judge
Alecea Vibar  ...  Naomi
Gary Ray Moore  ...  Counselor Johnson
Don Brooks ... Pastor Stevens
Rodney Johnson ...  Isaac
Robert Amaya ...  Pastor Jones
Jamie Ridgeway ... Officer Acosta
et al




(2017)

From imdb
Directed by 
Jiayun Huang
Jun Zhang
Suwen Zhang

Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)  
Xiaoli Ma ... (screenplay)
Xin Zhong ... (screenplay)

Jiaxin Xu ... Zhang Wenya (child)
Yuting Su ... Zhang Wenjing (child)
Lijin Liu ... Zhang Wenya
Sining Wen ... Zhang Wenjing
Yan Li ... Tao Huizhen
Weiguo Zhang ... Zhang Jianguo
Shi Chen ... Stepfather
Xincheng Lin ... Stepmother
Pinyao Lai ... Stepmother's Son
Yang Xiang ... Da Peng
Qicheng Jiang ... Uncle
Meifang Lin ... Uncle's wife
Suwen Zhang ... Aunt
Yazhen Zhuang ... Li Jie
Jie Qin ... Zheng Xinming
among others

(2007)

Written by David Gregory (Book)
Screenplay by Jefferson Moore
Directed by Jefferson Moore and Shane Sooter
Starring
Jefferson Moore ... Yesh
Ruby Lewis ... Sarah Cominsky (as Ruby Marie Lewis)
plus people inside the airport, the plane and other places
Pamela Brumley ... Nikki, Sarah's mom (Archive footage)
Christina Marie Karis (a.k.a. Christina Browder) ...  Stephanie Inmon, Sarah's best friend

🎥🎥🎥

Please allow me to share my thoughts about three movies I have watched recently, not necessarily on the same day.  All three movies are beautiful, but I arranged the posters from the one I loved best, which is "God's Compass".  The second movie, "Where is My Home?", story wise, is the most heart-wrenching.  The third movie, "Another Perfect Stranger",  is presented as a light movie about Jesus and Sarah, but if you listen to their conversation closely, you would hear why Sarah chose not to believe in God.  I have yet to see the movie this has stemmed from or read David Gregory's books, but I think this is a stand alone film. 

All three stories are about wounded souls, but all three of them prove that the battle has been won more than two thousand years ago.  Thankfully, God is not bound by space and time.  This is so unfathomable...unimaginable.  Well, maybe we could imagine it, but we would probably blow up by overanalysing and visualising things. 

Anyways, I would try to share to you my thoughts about each of them.  I think I'll start with ANOTHER PERFECT STRANGER-


This movie is complex and simple all at the same time.  This is the second of the David Gregory "Yesh" series.

When I was young I watched the "Oh God" series and started with the second story too.  The first one starred John Denver with George Burns as God.  The next one, the one I've seen first, had Lou Anne as Tracy and George Burns as God.  The 3rd one is a tricky one.  Oh God! You Devil, starring George Burns as God and Ted Wass as the Rockstar wannabe.  It was hard not to think of George Burns playing another role, but thankfully, I saw him play roles that were more, for lack of a better term, human.

What about Jefferson Moore?  Would I identify him as God since... Instead of finishing that sentence, I think I would have to say no.  I can't picture him as Jesus, but maybe, just maybe, I could say I could picture him as God being one of us...one with us.

The conversations were, for me at the very least, very natural.

It does lambaste religious beliefs, but little do they know that the true teaching of the Church that was distorted through time was really to have a personal relationship with God.  We are the Church.  We are His people.  We are the Body of Christ.  



Next, I'm going to talk about the movie that made me shed buckets of tears: WHERE IS MY HOME?-

I am amazed that Wenya still grew up to be a good person who is very loving, talented, caring, intelligent and all those other good descriptions about her.  Ever since she was two she seldom smiled.  She was dribbled from one home to another.  She felt unwelcome...unloved.  

I watched two versions.  The Chinese version with subtitles and the one that was dubbed in English.  For some reason I felt the one with subtitles more maybe because it sounded more natural, but the one dubbed in English was heartfelt too.

The drawings are good, but they are supposed to be old(towards the end of the movie).  I have drawn and painted on sketchpads too and the paper turns to a different colour. In fairness, it sort of became pinkish, but... Anyways, that's such a minor thing and it's a non-issue.  This story is about God finding us in the midst of our suffering, to take us out of the dark and wrap us in His arms of love.


"God did not choose us because we're confident in our preparation to go do what He has called us to do.  He chooses us because He knows what we are capable of." -Pastor Stevens (Don Brooks)

Last, but not the least is the movie that reminds us that everything happens for a reason: GOD'S COMPASS-

The recent Hallmark movies I watched were dominantly white so I wondered when I could watch something where African-Americans were the central characters and not the best pals or something.  CHANGE OF PLANS was multicultural, but...

Thankfully I came across this recently and when I watched it, it touched my soul.  Family is not just blood.  God sends people to us to become our family by heart through the most uncanny situations. 

The GREAT AUTHOR OF THE PLAY of life bring people in our lives in mysterious ways.  We may not notice it immediately because of the many struggles, but the people that stay in our lives are a perfect fit.

For more details, please visit their OFFICIAL WEBSITE or do buy it as a home movie.

****
There you have it.  The three Christian movies that touched my heart of late.  Thank you so much for your time.

May God bless us all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)