Miss Saigon (updated)

The Original Kim and The Silver Anniversary Kim
šŸŒ
Disclaimer:  This is NOT a religious blog entry

Note:  I have shelved this blog entry for decades.  #LatePost  Today, in the year 2019, I will finally post what I think about this musical.  Honestly, I originally wrote this ages ago, but this blog entry also includes my thoughts about the other productions, so this is updated.  I am not expecting anyone to read this(thanks to the few that already did), but if you do, I hope you get to read this until the end.  Thanks in advance.


MISS SAIGON is still the biggest vehicle that brought a lot of my country people to glory, most especially Ms. LEA SALONGA who became more than a household name.  She was critically acclaimed worldwide, won awards, and her name became like a banner...an emblem for our country.  Through Miss Saigon, Ms. Salonga had a lot of projects with Disney and elsewhere.

I had a chance to audition, but I blew it.  A Caucasian guy heard me sing one time somewhere in Quezon City and asked me if I knew about Miss Saigon.  

During that time I was still in the Uni, and one of the modes of transportation that I was using was the Jeepney.  One of the routes of the Jeepneys I rode passed through a girly bar named Miss Saigon.

"I am familiar with it...it's some kind of girly bar..."

"Oh, so you've heard about it. You have the perfect look, and you've got the pipes for it.  Why don't you audition?"

Stupid me, I yelled at the Caucasian guy then ran.

Weeks later, a friend of mine was telling me about her audition, but she said she thinks Ms. Salonga is the top choice.

I was stunned.  I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't move. It was a legitimate thing.  Yes, it did involve a girly bar, but it wasn't what I thought the man was talking about. It was a worldwide search for an Asian woman to star in a musical, and they found what they were looking for here, in the Republic of the Philippines.  

Later, they called for auditions for European productions, I could've auditioned, but I was so embarrassed.

When I finally watched Miss Saigon, I realised that I don't have the guts and energy to do it.  Sour grapes?  No.  It's the reality. 

I tried to imagine myself doing everything they did, I don't I have the stomach for it.  Imagine if I became one of the Chorus girls...an actor who plays a soldier would part my legs or hold me in parts reserved for my future husband.  I would have to wear more than skimpy clothes, but something only fit enough to wear at a pool side or on the beach or the sea or the pool.

The man said I have the pipes for it?  The man was too kind.  I know I sang better, once in my life, but not as good as all of them. I would have probably failed the audition, even if I didn't yell at that person.  If ever by a single iota I passed it, once I read the script, I bet I would have ran away too.  

To every actor or member of the production of that award winning musical, I applaud you and the hard work you did to make this musical a success.  You all are very brave.  True thespians, indeed!

KIM

It was Ms. Salonga whom I watched first, and the role was tailor-made for her.  

There were many gems that came after her, like my batch mate in grade school, MELIZA REYES, so I must be clear that am not discounting their abilities, for they are great, but let me just talk about Ms. Salonga.  

Ms. Salonga is the whole package.  She could not only sing well, she acts well, and she could bring out different emotions and convey all of them to the audience, and to those listening via Spotify/CD or whatever format.


THE STORY

I am not scared of giving spoilers, because it's been almost thirty years since the first production.  Besides, your experience with the musical would vary depending on the artists performing...their execution...their treatment...their vocal prowess...

Before watching this I already knew the story.  I had the Soundtrack(two CDs), the piano pieces, et cetera, et cetera.

Even if I knew the story by heart, it was still different when I watched it(I have watched a total of three versions.).  

Here was a young girl of seventeen who lost everything, but had to do the oldest profession to survive when the Engineer found her.

On her first day/night Chris gets instantly attracted to her.  John orchestrates their meeting.  He almost gave lots of money, but the "dumb" Engineer gave a price, so he "pretended" to complain.  The Engineer even upped the ante, not knowing John got her on a bargain. Chris danced with her, but there was something about her that made him so guilty.  He gave her money, but the Engineer took it.  He finally agreed to take her "away".  On their first night together, they fall in love.

They stayed together for two whole weeks(original lyrics during the confrontation, but probably only two days in other versions) even if he was just given another day by his friend John, then when Saigon falls, the American soldiers flee.  Chris did not want to leave Kim behind, but he gets knocked out(other versions he just tumbled for a while), and was practically dragged to the helicopter. For a year he was like a zombie until he met Ellen.  A year later they got married, but he still dreamt of Kim(other versions he was married to Ellen for two years---like a whirlwind romance-because she SAVED him)...rather, he had nightmares of what could have happened to her.  In those nightmares a child was involved.  Kim dies by his gun. Prophetic?

When Ellen finally knew that she was not a fling from long ago, I wanted to go to the stage and throttle the neck of Chris when this scene happened(As a woman I wasn't mad at Ellen.  I was mad at Chris, and Chris alone.  John changed for the better, so I wasn't mad at him.):

CHRIS We could not find her anywhere... honey, what's wrong?
ELLEN Kim was here the one who had to tell her was me
JOHN Oh, my God, it's my fault
CHRIS I knew we were gone too long!
ELLEN No, I think it's exactly what I had to see. You said you lived with her, that's all you were. Only one thing you left out is that you loved her.
CHRIS It was just two weeks, that was years ago
JOHN Nothing's changed for her
ELLEN Don't explain. There's nothing you can say. It's like she's gone insane. She tried to give away her own child.
JOHN She wants your son to be an American boy
ELLEN Don't you see, she still thinks she's married to you. You must tell her she's not, she must hear it and soon. 'Course that only depends if it's true
CHRIS Please don't doubt me Ellen: you're my wife. Lots of guys came back and had no life(PTSD)..I had you.
ELLEN You can say what you want but she's borne you a son.  In your nightmares the name that you shouted was hers. You've been with me two years and not shared things you've done. Don't hold back. Let me see...Is it her now or me?
CHRIS Let me tell you the way it was..Back when I was a different man. Back when I didn't have a clue who I am.  The feelings locked behind a dam that kept me there in Vietnam.
There in the shambles of a war I found what I was looking for. Saigon was crazed, but she was real and for one moment, I could feel.
I saw a world I never knew and through her eyes I suffered too.  In spite of all the things that were, I started to believe in her.
So I wanted to save her, protect her Christ, I'm American, how could I fail to do good? All I made was a mess, just like everyone else in a place full of mystery that I never once understood!  I wanted back a world I knew. The story of my life began again with you.

ELLEN CHRIS It's all right now, that's all through. We'll get past this, start anew will. All I want in my life is you
CHRIS Oh Ellen I should have told you...Will you ever trust me again...All i have in my life now is you
JOHN Now listen guys. It's not so easy. There is this kid who looks just like you. Hey, I think it's great you have each other but he exists. You have to face it
I run a camp that is filled with bui-doi looking for the fathers that they may never find. You don't have a complicated choice with this boy. Do you want to take him out or leave him behind?
CHRIS He's my son. I won't abandon him. Except that, Jesus Christ, John. There is also Kim what of her?
ELLEN If it was only Tam I'd take him now(a change of heart after hearing Chris' story). He is your son. We'd make it work somehow. But Chris, she still loves you. How can I have her near?
CHRIS There's no choice. I think the answer's clear. They'll have to stay in Bangkok. We'll support them here.
ELLEN JOHN I think this is the answer
JOHN Listen, you didn't see what's in that girl's head
CHRIS AND ELLEN For now this is the answer.

JOHN I hope you are both proud of what you've just said.
ELLEN It's done
CHRIS It's done
CHRIS AND ELLEN It's planned the girl is smart. She'll understand. (VERY condescending---I agree with Caitlyn Wright---sort of pissed with Ellen too,but I understand her more than I understand Chris)

KIM You must take Tam with you
CHRIS AND ELLEN In Bangkok, he will go to American schools


KIM I won't break my promise to my son
CHRIS AND ELLEN They will start a new life
KIM You will take Tam with you
CHRIS AND ELLEN We'll provide for their needs
JOHN You are talking like fools!   
KIM You won't forget Tam is a part of you
CHRIS, ELLEN, JOHN We will (you should) do what is right. Right for him...Right for us...Right for Kim
KIM I still taste your kisses. Your voice sings in my ear. You can betray what we were yesterday. But you'll come back tonight for him
ENGINEER Come on, come on, your recitation. Describe your reconciliation. I hope before his stimulation. He bought our little group vacation.
KIM In all his dreams he saw our baby. And he's teaching him to fly. Paper dragons in the sky.
ENGINEER Yes, papers, what's the situation? We'll need our cards for immigration. No tricks, I've got my reputation. Don't want no phoney complications.
KIM No, no. He's coming to us tonight. Pack your things. Get yourself arranged. While I change for my last performance.
ENGINEER Me, Chris and you. What a menage! Bangkok can screw! Bon voyage!

When Kim shoots herself using Chris' gun, and dies in Chris' arms, I wanted to say, "It's all your fault."  I did not feel pity for Chris at that moment. A few moments later, I felt his pain, most especially when he screamed.  Besides, he really did love Kim, so even if he did feel grateful, and truly loved Ellen, it was Kim who haunted him.  My goodness, only three years elapsed. Between two people in love, that's only a short time. He just didn't want to hurt Ellen for  I reiterate, he loved her too. 

Oh well, it's a work of fiction, and of course, I know it's not the actor's fault, but...

Well, this guy shares some of my thoughts:


The Problem(s) With Miss Saigon (or, how many stereotypes can you cram into one Broadway musical) published on September 11, 2013


The songs are beautiful, but David Mura said it all.  Like what I said before, I really admire our countryfolk who are a part of this musical: You are all very talented, and I couldn't do what you all did.  

Story wise, it is very sordid and so many other adjectives I don't want to use.  

She was seventeen, and the guy was probably almost thirty or something(just like my age gap with my ex, but our situation was different...there was no sex involved, and I got over him soon).  

Did you know that statutory rape in our country is only for twelve(12) and under.  Yes, 12. Dang.  I bet it was because of our red light districts that were "born" because of those GIs.  They should change this law.  Twelve is too young.  Poor girls of seventeen and under...

Now, they even want to lower criminal liability of children.  

Back to sexual offences...

There is still criminal liability for those ages 13-17: According to the Criminal Law of the Philippines, qualified seduction falls under crimes against chastity. It said in its element that the offender of qualified seduction committed a sexual relationship by means of deceit. The offended party is over 12 and under 18 years of age.

The law in Vietnam is different.  The age of consent is sixteen(16), so 17 was pretty legal, but sex/human trafficking was NEVER legal.  We just have to remember that it was during war with the VC where laws were ignored.  Still, they were wearing their Uniforms, representing the US of A  where most of the States have an under eighteen rule.

What can we do?  Mr. Mura's thoughts are valid, but we have to realise that no matter how sordid the scenes were, those things really happened during that time.  

By the way, the Vietnamese term bį»„i đį»i refers to vagrants in the city, or, trįŗ» bį»„i đį»i to street children or juvenile gangs. From 1989, following a song in this musical, "Bui-Doi" came to popularly refer to Amerasian children left behind in Vietnam after the Vietnam War.- Wikipedia

The term Lai Dai Han (or sometimes Lai Daihan/Lai Tai Han) (lai Đįŗ”i HĆ n in Vietnamese: pronounced [laĖi É—Ć¢Ė€i hĆ¢Ėn]; Korean: ė¼ģ“ė”°ģ“ķ•œ) is a Vietnamese term for a mixed ancestry person born to a South Korean father and a Vietnamese mother, including the victims of sexual assault by Korean soldiers, during the Vietnam War. Lai Dai Han often live at the margins of Vietnamese society.-Wikipedia

I still love the songs, and it's still a celebrated musical no matter what.

Besides, I don't think anyone's romanticising anything.  This may be a work of fiction, but it's real as real can be.  Yes, a seventeen-year-old girl fell in love with an adult, they were separated by war, a few months she bore him a son...she stayed in love.

The guy had PTSD, after a year meets Ellen then a year later, marries her.  After a year he learned about Tam.  What's so impossible about that?  

One of the people watching wondered why she didn't go with Thuy, but instead, after preserving herself for only Chris, she chose to sell her body instead of marrying Thuy.  

Well, may I remind you that Thuy was already dead when they went to Bangkok? She survived somehow in Vietnam by being loyal to Chris, but Bangkok is another country.  Since the Engineer was pretending to be her brother...  Argh.  Gross.  Brother? He sold his "sister" for money?  Ugh!

Back to not choosing Thuy...

My answer: By marrying Thuy, she would be like a prisoner. She did not love him.  It would be like she was tied to him forever.  Selling herself was just a means of survival...she was still sort of free to do what she wanted to do, and she could end it any time.

By the way, I know an American officer and a bar girl from Vietnam who fell in love, but their story is not tragic.  They got married, now have a couple of grownup children and three grandchildren.  So it is possible. I'm sure there are more out there, and most of them ended in tragedy.  

BTW, since Mr. David Mura made such a good point, in the 2014 version(25th Anniversary), though more sordid and explicit, the songs of the lyrics were updated.  Chris mentions to a very stoned John that they could get sacked because Kim is a "little girl".

Even Ellen's song's words are better.  At first it was IT'S HER OR ME, then it became NOW THAT I'VE SEEN HER, but now it's called MAYBE. In the latest version, Ellen is conflicted, to the point that you would know how she felt inside. 

The Confrontation lyrics were also updated.  The words are almost the same and still very painful, but this time I understood Chris better. He was still in pain. He admitted to Ellen that he and Kim were really in love, but also said it was years ago(ouch), and he didn't deny calling Kim's name every now and then.  The scene was more meaningful because it was a conversation between the two of them for John was not there yet.  

The updated version of this Silver Anniversary presentation of the hit musical was even sleazier(the very talented Ms. EVA NOBLEZADA even disrobed in front of ALISTAIR BRAMMER---but she was still protected by the dimming of the lights), but the lyrics are better...more meaningful.  I cried.  Poor Kim.  A woman who loyally stayed in love with her soldier.  She even killed the man who loved her through the years just to save their child, but he was over her.  He still cared, but...

John only entered after the damning scene.  The stoned soldier who scared Chris with his gun was now the saintly "saviour" of the Amerasian children.  Goodness me.  Yes.  After ONLY three years.

The ending...was it better? 

It's the same.

The story affects me much.  Very, very much.

Yes, it has a lot sleazy scenes(women who were forced to make "love" in public---some were even crying), but it is also about a political war, treason, love, and it's a very tragic story.  It is also haunting.  A lot of people...the ones who are still alive up to now...are still haunted by that senseless war.  Was it the first time the Americans lost?  I forgot.  No.  I won't check it now.  Maybe later, but this is the last time I would update this.

Well, I think that's really all I have to say, and I know I've said a LOT.



šŸŒ
Thanks for finishing reading this piece. 

Movie Trailer as released by Universal Pictures
25th Anniversary (2014) performance filmed in front of a live audience at the Prince Edward Theatre
#RachelleAnnGo #EvaNoblezada #TamsinCarroll  #AlistairBrammer #HughMaynard #JonJonBriones #HongKwangHo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)