Pinay Beauty (2018)

Love yourself
Director: Jay Abello
Writers: Alpha Habon and Rod Marmol


From imdb/Google images
Pinay Beauty is one of the best movies that brings out the real Pinay Beauty in every insecure Filipinas.  

From the Power of Positivity
Some personal stuff first before I really talk about the movie.  You may scroll down, if you wish.

Although I never ever imagined myself having cosmetic surgery, there was a time when I did everything to be lighter skinned.  Things I only did when I was here in this country because elsewhere my colour was, and still is, appreciated.  The adverse effect is that my allergies became worse and I now don't have perfect skin, and my legs need to be covered, unlike in the uni days, except when I was receiving formation, I would confidently wear shorts(not the super short ones, but the slightly longer ones) because I knew, whatever size I was, my legs WERE beautiful.

Ergo, this movie more than strikes a chord.  As a little girl, although I have dealt with this already, I had a hard time when people were comparing me to my mother's beauty, and I why didn't I inherit my Spanish/Belgian ancestors' skin.  They didn't even want to believe that I have Spanish and Belgian blood.

I am grateful that during my years in the United States of America, and during my travels to different parts of Europe, my colour and my beauty was appreciated.

Everything went well even home, until the term exotic connoted a different meaning.

When whitening soaps, injectables, and other products were being sold like hotcakes here, I remember my African friends feeling uncomfortable visiting our country. 

If you really study history, you would know that they were the dominant race before until the pale skinned people...wait, I don't hate pale skinned people.  I have loved a pale skinned person for a long time, and I had strong feelings for someone whiter than he was some years later.  It's not the point.  The point is, "You are beautiful, when you are happy!"  May I add, if you are joyful inside, no matter what trials you may face.

I just recently talked about this.  I have a friend who may not be the bench mark of beauty, much more, she wasn't the epitome of beauty either, but she had lots and lots of suitors, and one of the guys who became her boyfriend even almost committed suicide.  

If you don't believe you are beautiful, who would?

PINAY BEAUTY

CHAI FONACIER, ever since I met her in RESPETO, is one of my favourite actors, so this movie was a must see, and I'm sure glad I did.  

Her character, Annie, was so insecure that she wanted a complete overhaul.

I have nothing against reconstructive surgery or maybe just some adjustments here and there, but to have a total overhaul because you yourself think you are ugly is not good.

Imagine, she already has Migs(EDGAR ALLAN GUZMAN) who loves her, and would do anything for her, and yet, because of her dreams of being Snow White, her boyfriend's life might end in four days.

Migs, a very good person, has great friends who love him, and they would do anything to help him.  They were willing to go great lengths just to help Migs, and it's really so touching what these friends did for Migs.

The friends who were ultra loyal and helpful are:

HANNA LEDESMA 

MARIKO LEDESMA

NICO ANTONIO

AND 

JANUS DEL PRADO

They are all very, very convincing actors.

👧👧👧

The other half of the poster is MAXINE MEDINA.  She plays Lovely G, the daughter of "The King", a known action star who was idolised by many.  If Annie wants to be beautiful, she wants people to see more than her beauty.  She even wants to be known as an action star or a character actress or the villain.  The people around her would always tell her that she's too pretty to be a villain.  Even when she's angry, she couldn't offend anyone.  Like Annie, she has olive skin, but also like Annie, she was not happy what she already has.

From a friend's post

The movie has many funny scenes, and the moviegoers didn't hide their glee. They were just very shy to applaud after the movie, but I saw how happy they were with the movie as a whole.

Like many of the comedy films, but not all, the lessons are deep and the morals are thought-provoking.

Hope more would get the chance to see this.  It surely is worth one's time, for a LOT of us could relate to this.

Thanks a bunch for reading this.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)