Netflix's To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

 One secret letter I wrote in high school was actually sent to someone who probably thinks the worse of me until now, and that's more than thirty years ago.  I actually met some of my crushes in ways unimaginable.    Thankfully, some of them are my friends now.  Oh, and though all my exes did the first move, except for one, I did write emails to two guys where I told them how I truly felt about them.  One of them is a friend right now, but the other one treats me like I'm the plague.  Thank goodness, I'm thick faced(not callous), so I can managed co-existence. 

Why To All The Boys I’ve Loved BeforeAuthor Jenny Han Had to Fight for an Asian American Star


On Sunday we are finally going to watch CRAZY RICH ASIANS so I'm surely going to write about it then.  I'm just so happy that things I only dreamed of in the past is coming to fruition, and this Netflix flick is one of them.

I know that there was at least one person who thinks that Filipinos are more American or European than Asian...that we're only Asian because of geography and nothing more.  We can't deny that the Americans and the Spaniards have a lot of influence in our culture, but we're Asian.  

TO ALL THE BOYS I LOVED BEFORE is a very relatable movie, at least for me, as I sort of explained in the note above.  Also, I may only be 1/8 to 1/4 white, and I am not even white.  My eyes give away my Asian heritage, but my best friend from childhood says I look more Latina...the point is, I had a Caucasian ex-boyfriend and Caucasian suitors in the past, so I could relate to Lara Jean(LANA CONDOR), her mom and her sister, Margot(JANEL PARRISH), so like how JENNY HAN, the best selling author of the book this was adapted from said, this is like a "throwback"...well, she was describing Lara Jean, an old fashioned throwback kind of girl.

Her name incidentally is the combination of my baby sis' name and my name.  She also loves to write like the two of us, and she loves to read too.

So it's very understandable that we could relate to this, even if the target market are the young ones, we were young once, so...  ;-)

Oh, if I were younger, I would have the hots for NOAH CENTINEO who plays LJ's fake boyfriend here.  It was his idea to have a fake relationship with her after she kissed him near the Lacrosse Field(the oval to be exact) when Josh was around.  #TheStupidThingsWeDo

This is one of the best movies made for teens and millennials ever.

I love the fact that it's not that predictable, although I must say I kind of hoped that it would happen that way.


For people in our age bracket, JULIE BENSON and JOHN CORBETT play parents here.  Julie plays Peter's mom.  John plays Dr. Covey, LJ and her sisters' dad.

ALTHOUGH NO ROLE IS BIG OR SMALL, HERE ARE SOME OF THE OTHER CAST MEMBERS WHO PLAY IMPORTANT ROLES, AT LEAST FOR ME:

ISRAEL BROUSSARD as Josh.  Margot's ex-boyfriend and LJ's best guy friend from childhood.

MADELEINE ARTHUR as Chris, LJ's best friend that is a girl.

ANNA CATHCART as Kitty, the youngest Covey girl who is responsible of sending the letters to all the boys LJ has loved before.  Thankfully, only three of them got them.  Incidentally, she kind of looks like my niece, Louise, so that's a plus for her. ;-)

EMILIJIA BRANAC as Gen, LJ's best friend when she was a little girl.  Everything changed during spin the bottle, when Peter, her crush, and LJ kissed.  Peter eventually became her boyfriend, but when she started dating a college dude, she dropped him like a hot potato...and that's kind of why the whole farce started, but I think it was the kiss near the Lacrosse field that started it all.

TREZZO MAHORO as Lucas, one of the recipients of the infamous letters.

JOEY PACHECO as Owen, Peter's younger brother who is very shy.

👧👪👧
Besides being a movie about former crushes and current ones, this is also a movie about great relationships between sisters and their widower father, and the people around them.  It is also about true friendship, high school life, snail mail, and social media.

💑💓💔💖💗💘💙💚💟💝💜💛
(the different emotions I felt when watching this movie)

Thanks for reading.  


Source
Noah Centineo and Lana Condor

Directed by Susan Johnson
Written for Netflix by Sofia Alvarez









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)