Royal New Year's Eve (2017)

Directed by MONIKA MITCHELL
Costume Design by CLAUDIA DA PONTE

Both images are from imdb (if I reviewed it there, I would give this 6/10...not too high, but definitely not low...for me, Jessy and Sam have good chemistry...and I reminded myself that his Kingdom is a fictitious one, so Jeff's accent is "fictitious" or invented...because of this, everything below won't be about the acting)

The villainess here is played by Ms. CHERYL LADD, the Head Honcho of Appliqué Magazine, and the protagonist's boss.

This is sort of a Cinderella story, except that there's no evil stepmother and there are no ugly stepsisters.

There's a dream stealer(Ms. Ladd) who is like Disney's Maleficent(the animated version, not the one Angelina Jolie played), a current titled girlfriend(HAYLEY SALES), a bodyguard best friend(ANDREW KAVADAS), a fairy godmother type of best friend(CRYSTAL BALINT), a down-to-earth very handsome Prince(SAMUEL PAGE), a King who listens to reason(GERARD PLUNKETT).  There's also the very considerate daughter of the villainess(NICOLE LAPLACA), and of course, the uber talented protagonist(JESSY SCHRAM) who is also beautiful inside out. 

As most fairy tales go, the ending is kind of predictable, but not really.

I like the buildup of the friendship.  The villainess was just after launching her daughter's career that she inadvertently brought the Prince and the protagonist together.

I like the 'fact' that the Prince, even when he was pretending to be a commoner, did not hide the fact that he was seeing someone...that the love was gradual, and the writer(RICK GARMAN) was realistic enough to say she was not in love yet, but the best friend pointed out that she was falling in love.

Sigh.

Predictable or not(I use the phrase a lot, I know.) I enjoyed every minute of this made for TV movie.

No one's totally evil here, including the villainess because I've seen and read about too many villains who are evil to the core, and she's definitely not that evil.  The current girlfriend has her good points, and she grows on you too.

If a babble on, then I might give away the who story.

Why don't you just watch it instead?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)