Aquaman (2018)

Directed by James Wan
Written for the Screen by David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrich and Will Beall from the story penned by James Wan, Will Beall and Geoff based on the characters created by Paul Norris and Mort Weisinger
JASON MOMOA has a certain charm, so even if he's not my kind of handsome, he's funny, more than well-built, witty, and he acts well too. Honestly, I never pictured him as Aquaman, but he grows on you, and thankfully not like a sore thumb, so I was pretty psyched when this was announced.  When I learned that NICOLE KIDMAN was going to play his Queen Mother, I couldn't imagine it, but when I learned that TEMUERA MORRISON was going to be his dad, then I said, alright, that explains it.  

AMBER HEARD, as Mera, is so beautiful.  I still have a hard time believing what happened between her and Johnny Depp, but let's not go there.  Why in the world did I have to mention it?  Well...  Anyways, back to her portrayal of Mera, she was pretty awesome.  When I was watching Super Friends when I was a little girl, I had the impression that Wonder Woman and Aquaman had a thing for each other, but when I watched Wonder Woman on TV, I knew she was going to end up with Steve, who thankfully was treated with the water of the fountain of youth, something like that, so...wait, that's another movie altogether.  My point is, I'm glad that their love story was given a good start here(in the DC Comics, she's Arthur's wife).  The little kids behind us were squirming.  Some even said, "Ewwww.  Don't tell me they are going to kiss.  Gross." They kissed.  LOL.

The crowd in Alabang(with my nephew's batch mates, and their families) is more spirited that the crowd in Greenbelt 1.  Yes.  I watched this movie twice, but I have no regrets.  It's worth watching again and again and again. This movie is action-packed, and it doesn't have any dead air.

You might think I'm stupid when I say this:  I learned something new.  I didn't know that there were flares that could survive under water.  All I knew about were flare guns, and one time when my flare gun accidentally went under water, it became a dud.  As a daughter of Navy Flag Officer, I should know this, right?  Well, I didn't.  There are underwater flares.


How do underwater

flares and torches

work, when water puts

out fires? ←(click the link

if you didn't know about that

too)

This movie also reminds us about the environment, and why we should care for our Mother Earth.

The "special" effects are great, they are very real and very believable.  

I didn't even recognise DOLPH LUNDGREN as King Nereus, Mera's father.

JULIE ANDREWS lent her voice to Karathen, the leviathan that guards the Trident King Atlan grips until the present day...well, until...  ;-)

The cast was carefully chosen.  Even the baby, the toddler, the child, and the teenagers who played the young Arthur were superb. YAHYA ABDUL MATEEN II is also great as the Black Manta(I almost said Mamba).  PATRICK WILSON looks younger here, but he's the Ocean Master, so he's...well, he's the villain.  WILLEM DEFOE also looks younger here.  As always, he is very impressive.

I could do a roll call, but it'll take time. EVERYone involved should be congratulated.  This movie is a product of a great team effort.  Of course, there would be naysayers here and there, but I'm sure more people would love this movie, maybe even more than I do.

Jules Verne was quoted at the start.  If you're familiar with his world, you would recognise one of the places in this movie as a figment of his imagination...rather, one of the things he imagined to be was brought to life by this movie.  I'm at a loss for words.


🔱

🔱

🔱

Thanks for your time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)