Siargao (2017)

Siargao is a 2017 Philippine surf romance film directed by Paul Soriano. Starring Jericho Rosales, Erich Gonzales, and Jasmine Curtis-Smith, it is produced under Soriano's own company Ten17 Productions. Wikipedia
Initial release25 December 2017
DirectorPaul Soriano (Grandson of a WWCF Church Mate, Brother Gines Soriano, more popularly known as Nestor De Villa, but I never met him---Paul, I mean)
Box office80 million PHP
Music composed byRicardo JugoRobbie Factoran (brother of my childhood friends)

By the Eraserheads

Yes.  I am months late.  I watched this through the Pinoy Movies Hub and I .  I was supposed to watch this with a movie buddy when she returned from Japan, but I got hospitalised and it took a month after I got released from the hospital before I went out with my friends. I actually wanted to support this earlier, but I got ill even before the carolling season, so I thought the first week of January was the perfect time to watch this with my movie buddy.

Siargao is so beautiful and I am glad I was able to virtually travel through the eyes of Laura(Erich Gonzales), a VLogger(Video Blogger).  The sky is glorious, the waves are tubular, the island is fantastic.  No wonder a lot of people from all over the archipelago and all over the world visit the island to surf and what have you.

A lot of things not connected with the movie ravelled inside my already confused brain because of a dialogue between Jigs/Jig/Diego and Laura about reset buttons and being swallowed by a big wave.  Those thoughts include people who commit suicide more often than not do the act where people could find them.  It is very rare that people do the act where no one would learn about what they did.  So, even if I have no right to judge the people who commit suicide, I think even if we think it's a selfless act that harakiri or seppuku seem to convey(well, it's a cultural thing---I respect cultural beliefs...I'm just saying what I think), I think it's selfish because if we want to commit suicide and let's say we become successful, it's going to be very, very painful for all the people we leave behind.  

Anyways, back to the movie, it is really so beautiful.  I remember my tour mates and travel companions.  Some of them are still in my life, but the others are somewhere out there.  I don't even know if they are alive or have passed on.  

BTW, I remember certain theatres stopping its showing and after seeing it, I can't help pitying those people who did not give this a chance.  Thankfully it still earned PhP80,000,000.00 at the box office(I just don't know if those are gross earnings).  

It's greatly directed by Paul Soriano and his team of multitaskers; the actors immersed in their roles and became the characters they were personifying; the story and screenplay were both written well by Ms. Anjeli "Anj" Pessumal; the Siargao star surfers had more than cameos, so forth and so on.

Oh, and before I forget, I love that the movie teaches or reminds all of us to care for the environment...to be stewards of Mother Nature.  After all, if we don't care for the environment we are the ones who are going to lose.  

I also learned from the movie that it is not customary for bikers there to wear helmets, with a few exceptions.  I've been to other provinces where the riders don't wear helmets, so I guess it's the same there in Siargao.

What else?

Oh, that.  Men and women, even after kissing, could be great friends...yes, of the platonic kind.

Aaaaaah.

I really want to say more, but I I'll just say this, I hope to see more of this kind of film.  It is of International Calibre.  Yes.  World Class.

Congratulations to EVERYone involved in this film!


Best Picture - "Ang Larawan"
Best Actress - Joanna Ampil, "Ang Larawan"
Best Actor - Derek Ramsay, "All of You"
2nd Best Picture - "Siargao"
3rd Best Picture - "All of You"
Special Jury Prize - Coco Martin, "Ang Panday"
Special Jury Prize - Nick Joaquin
People's Choice Award - "GandaRappido: The Revenger Squad"
Best Supporting Actress - Jasmine Curtis Smith, "Siargao"
Best Supporting Actor - EA Guzman, "Deadma Walking"
Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award - "Ang Larawan"
Best Director - Paul Soriano, "Siargao"
Fernando Poe Jr. Memorial Award - "Ang Panday"
Children's Choice Award - "Ang Panday"
Best Screenplay - "All of You"
Best Editor - Mark Victor, "Siargao"
Best Cinematography - "Siargao"
Best Production Design - "Ang Larawan"
Best Visual Effects - "Ang Panday"
Best Musical Score - Ryan Cayabyab, "Ang Larawan" 
Best Original Theme Song - Alon by Hale, "Siargao"
Best Sound - "Siargao"
Best Child Performer - Baby Baste, "Meant To Beh"
Best Float - "Deadma Walking"
Best Short Film - "Anong Nangyari kay Nicanor Dante"
People's Choice Award (Short Films) - "Noel"

Star of the Night (Female) - Erich Gonzales 
Star of the Night (Male) - Derek Ramsay

Cast (as copy pasted from Wikipedia):

Special participation
Cameo appearances

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)