ISA PA, WITH FEELINGS (2019)

Introduction that you may skip:
Learning about this movie made me pretty excited to watch it.  It had a different concept, and I was prepared to cry a lot.  I was told that for me not to shed tears in a movie, I should really be armed with lots of tissues.

Dang.  Even with all the preparations, I still cried. 

You see, my maternal grandmother was deaf, and she could only hear us with a hearing aid.  Since I was little I was scared of being deaf, so I prepared for "it" with the hope by preparing I won't ever go deaf.

I served in the Deaf Ministry for a couple of years, but when my mom and I started fighting because of the things she misinterpreted, I told myself I should stop serving because it would make me look like a hypocrite, even if I am not.

I do miss them a lot, but I would rather serve in different ways.

ISA PA WITH FEELINGS



Watching this with my partially deaf mother, and my dad, who is hard of hearing because of his medicine, made me feel what Mara was feeling all throughout the movie.  

Directed by PRIME CRUZ
Story and Screenplay by
Jenilee "Jen" Chuaunsu
and Katherine "Kookai" S. Labayen

CARLO AQUINO's acting ability was noticed since he was a little boy, but we've only noticed MAINE MENDOZA during her Yaya Dub days, even if in real life, she's an heiress or something. 

Little by little Maine has warmed our hearts, and I'm glad, as early as now, she broke free from her "love team" with Alden, not that I have anything against Alden, but at least now we know that she could act, no matter who her partner is(like Coco Martin, and dear Arjo Atayde).

There were many light moments in this movie, but the topic is serious.  I liked that it was fair to both the hearing and the deaf, and we were able to see Gali's perspective many times in the movie.

I just have one problem regarding the movie.  If Gali is living alone for a very long time, how come it was only Mara who thought of the lights for his doorbell?

At least that's what I've noticed. The people in Commercenter were kinder than the ones who watched in SM BF.  It was a good thing my "Little Sister" was already a bit drowsy after watching the movie, or else she might've pulled the hair of the person who said this: "He could afford a Condo, but not a hearing aid?" Argh!!!!!!

Generalize much????

The movie's flow is smooth. I was immersed every second.  I like Mara's boss, Sir TJ(BRIAN SY).  He believes in Mara, no matter what.

KAT GALANG, I think, is one of BLACK SHEEP's favourite actors.  Well, she's very versatile, and she really should have more projects.  

LOTLOT and CRIS VILLANUEVA play Mara's parents, and they are, as always, very good.

GELEEN EUGENIO is still a very good dancer, and VANGIE LABALAN has proven through the years that she could play almost any role.

ARCI MUÑOZ and RAFA SIGUION REYNA play very special roles in this movie.  You could hate them, but you would also be very impressed with them.

NIKKI VALDEZ plays Mara's older sister.  She has a deaf daughter whom Mara loves dearly.  She's the reason why Mara wanted to learn to sign in the first place...and because of that, she was able to meet Gali.  Well, they kind of met "before that", but I won't give spoilers.

There are no small roles here, and everyone did their jobs well.  I am not exaggerating.

I hope more people would get to see this masterpiece.

Kudos to everyone involved in this project, and dear readers, thanks for your time!





18th Philippine Catholic Congress on Deafness 

(a public FB album of mine)


A SILENT VOICE (from my blog)


MR. HOLLAND'S OPUS (from my blog)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)