As Good As It Gets (1997)


From Wikipedia:
As Good as It Gets is a 1997 American romantic comedy film directed by James L. Brooks and produced by Laura Ziskin. It stars Jack Nicholson as a misanthropic, obsessive-compulsive novelist, Helen Hunt as a single mother with an asthmatic son, and Greg Kinnear as a gay artist. The screenplay was written by Mark Andrus and James L. Brooks. Nicholson and Hunt won the Academy Award for Best Actor and Academy Award for Best Actress, respectively, making As Good As It Gets the most-recent film to win both of the lead acting awards, and the first since 1991's The Silence of the Lambs. It is ranked 140th on Empire magazine's "The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time" list.


Honestly, even if I admire dear Jack Nicholson a lot, I would have wanted someone like Sean Connery play his part here. Come on.  If a younger woman as beautiful as Helen Hunt would fall for a man Jack Nicholson's age, I bet she would choose someone like Sean Connery.  Sean Connery, given the same problem...the same role...would have tackled it in a more believable and endearing manner.

Nevertheless, Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Melvin Udall is very admirable.  Even if he's not as dashingly handsome as Sean Connery, he did some sort of justice.  Sigh.  Love is blind.  No, Jack Nicholson is not bad to look at.  I've seen his pictures when he was much, much younger and I can say that probably a lot of women were into him before.  He is really a wonderful actor and very bankable.  It's just that...Oh, never mind.

The movie, as a whole, is very heartwarming.  Greg Kinnear fits his role to a T.  Little Jill the Dog, was great in playing Verdell. I could kiss this dog, but then again, no. 

Jesse James, who played the cute young boy named Spence, is now 24 years old.  During the time this movie was filmed, he was not even ten yet, but he won The Hollywood Reporter Young Star Award.  

Films like these, as I always tell my friends in similar situations, gives ladies, especially single mothers, hope.

The story is touching and always makes me think of bakeries that open very early in the morning.  It is also visually appealing (See the Salvador Dali Connection).  

How beautiful is it?  Let me just tell you how many times I've watched this.  Are you ready for it? Yes? I've seen this more than ten(10) times.

Maybe my opinion would differ from yours, but that's how I see this film.

God bless you, JAMES L. BROOKS.

THE SOUND TRACK BY HANS ZIMMER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZFsMgynmC4&list=PL7h4CanFm_N4AwYD-eKKHwqbED46jYRJo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)