THE HELP (2011)


For people who still live as slaves even if freedom was granted ages ago, this is for you.  This is also for those who need to be taught a lesson or two and for everybody else.




Emma Stone is an actor that never ceases to amaze me.  Although she is only 25 years old, she has already wowed critics, most especially in EASY A.  I am mentioning her first because in this movie she plays Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, a writer who gave a voice to those people who were still being maltreated even if they were already given liberty.



Next, I want to mention Viola Davis.  She IS Aibileen Carter and her acting made me love the character she portrayed so well.  Through her, I was able to journey with Aibileen.  I felt her agony, her pain, her courage and strength.


Another actor that makes me gape in awe is Ms. Cicely Tyson.  Here in THE HELP, she makes me smile, but she also grips my heart, leading me to cry so hard.  She is really, really good here.  Towards the end of the film, when Skeeter's mom, Mrs. Phelan, was recounting about her first days as a member of the DAR(Daughters of the American Revolution), I really wanted to embrace her and scratch the face of Mrs. Phelan.  Yet, a few seconds later, I saw myself in her(Mrs. Phelan).  I did what she did several times when I was younger.  I did not stand up for people I loved and cared about.  Good thing some of them still hold me dear, but there are those that hate me forever. Tsk, tsk! What a shame.  Some lessons are really learned the hard way.


The versatile Sissy Spacek plays Mrs. Walters, Hilly(the main antagonist)'s mother here.  Mrs. Walters has a jovial personality, but when she saw that her daughter was entering a dark tunnel, never wanting to see the light, she decided to take the side of "the help".


Even if the whole ensemble is great, let me just mention these two great ladies last(lest this blog entry would never end):  Jessica Chastain and Octavia Spencer, as Celia and Minny respectively.  They could be considered as an odd couple, but they are a great team.  
*****
As mentioned above, the whole ensemble is great.  From the novelist(Stockett), to the Director/Screenwriter(Tate), the cast and the crew, everyone did a good job.

This is a movie that should be watched at least once in a lifetime.


Storyline from imdb
Set in Mississippi during the 1960s, Skeeter (Stone) is a southern society girl who returns from college determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families. Aibileen (Davis), Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper, is the first to open up -- to the dismay of her friends in the tight-knit black community. Despite Skeeter's life-long friendships hanging in the balance, she and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward to tell their stories -- and as it turns out, they have a lot to say. Along the way, unlikely friendships are forged and a new sisterhood emerges, but not before everyone in town has a thing or two to say themselves when they become unwittingly -- and unwillingly -- caught up in the changing times. Written by Walt Disney Pictures

"The Living Proof"

It's gonna be a long long journey
It's gonna be an uphill climb
It's gonna be a tough fight
There's gonna be some lonely nights
But I'm ready to carry on
I’m so glad the worst is over (cos it almost took me out)
I can start living now ooh ooh
I feel like I can do anything
And finally I'm not afraid to breathe

[CHORUS]
Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can’t deny the truth
Cos I’m the living proof
So many don’t survive
They just don’t make it through
But look at me oh ho
I’m the living proof - oh yes I am

Thinking 'bout how life's been painful
Took a while to learn how to smile
So now I’m gonna talk to my people oh oh
About the storm [2x] wo ooh
So glad the worst is over
I can start flying now oh ho
My best days are right in front of me
Yet I’m almost there
Cos now I’m free oh

[CHORUS]
Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can’t deny the truth
Cos I’m the living proof
So many don’t survive
They just don’t make it through
But look at me, I’m the living proof

[BRIDGE]
I know where I’m going
Cos I know where I’ve been oh oh
I kind of feel strong as
I’m gonna stay strong keep going
That’s the way that I’ll win

[CHORUS]
Anything you say to me
And everything you do (everything you do)
You can’t deny the truth
Cos I'm the living proof
So many don’t survive
They just don’t make it through
But look at me, I’m the living proof

Nothing ‘bout my life’s been easy
But nothing’s gonna keep me down no
Cos I know a lot more today
And I know yesterday
So I’m ready to carry on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)