Matchstick Men (2003)

pinoy top sites

(Link added Feb 2014)


Written in the latter part of 2013:

Nicolas Cage is one of my favorite actors, but I was not able to watch this film on the big screen.  There were only a few movies that I was able to watch because of the many transitions that happened to me that year(2003) and my brother, PG, also died then and I also thought that I had someone I could love for the rest of my life. After more than ten years, I was able to watch this on the idiot box.  Why did I miss reading such a wonderful book(Eric Garcia) and why did I fail to watch this awesome movie?  It's better late than never, right?


Sam Rockwell as Frank Mercer and Nicolas Cage as Roy Waller

As I was channel surfing I chanced upon Matchstick Men.  I had no idea why it was called such, but I saw Nicolas Cage's name and vaguely remembered some scenes from its trailer.  "Oh, there's a young girl in the trailer..."

Later on, I felt so stupid.  Goodness me! Matchstick men also means con artists or tricksters or people who cheat others...ones that care about their personal gain without caring for welfare of others. 



Con artists are also referred to as matchstick men because they create temporary personas that are fleeting and simple.- Urban Dictionary
Alison Lohman as Angela
Alison Lohman Pictures

I was enthralled from the start and when Angela entered Roy's life, images of Big Daddy and Hit-Girl flashed in front of my eyes.

There were moments when I wanted to hit Roy for giving his daughter a bad example, but there were moments when I thought that he was being conned too.


I liked the movie as a whole.  I can't say that I gave it a standing ovation when it was over, but I was glad that I was given a chance to see it. 


If you want spoilers go to this Wikipedia Link


Everyone is given chances to change and to live a better life.  It's up to each one of us if we are up to the challenge.





From imdb.com




Director:

 


Writing Credits (WGA)  



Eric Garcia...(book)
Nicholas Griffin...(screenplay) (as Nick Griffin) &
Ted Griffin...(screenplay)

A phobic con artist and his protégé are on the verge of pulling off a lucrative swindle when the former's teenage daughter arrives unexpectedly.


Cast (in credits order) verified as complete  



Nicolas Cage...
Sam Rockwell...
Alison Lohman...
Bruce Altman...
Bruce McGill...
Jenny O'Hara...
Mrs. Schaffer
Steve Eastin...
Mr. Schaffer
Beth Grant...
Laundry Lady
Sheila Kelley...
Kathy
Fran Kranz...
Slacker Boyfriend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)