The Shop Around the Corner, In The Good Old Summertime and You've Got Mail(for the 100th time)

Note: I think I was sleepy and hungry when I first published this via my food blog. LMAO! (I deleted it already.) ;-p
A film by Nora Ephron
Written for the Big Screen by Nora and Delia Ephron
Starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks
Based on The Shop Around the Corner


In 1998 I found myself watching another MEG RYAN and TOM HANKS tandem flick.  I am not sure which of their movies did I ever watch first.  Maybe it was Joe versus the Volcano or something else.  Wait, the thing in my head is When Harry Met Sally...It's not Tom Hanks in that movie, but  Billy Crystal. This is just the third one.

💡📘📙📘💡

I think I mentioned somewhere on this blog that although I like Tom Hanks, there was this one movie that I hoped he wasn't the lead star.  But what can I do? He's the bankable one.  I think I get it anyway.  Why they think Tom Hanks is a cool leading man.  Even if his characters could get annoying at times, he is charmingly annoying.  Is there even such as thing?  He's not bad to look at and he could be funny too.

The Foxes: Joe with his brother, Matthew(Jeffrey Scaperrotta) and his aunt Annabelle(Hallee Hirsh)

YOU'VE GOT MAIL is loosely(there it is again) based on THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER.  It's about finding true love, the love for books, discounts, family businesses and that complicated family tree(I belong to complicated family trees on both sides of my family) where Joe Fox belongs.  He has a younger step mother, an aunt who is a child(daughter of his grandfather), a brother who is about four to five years old, and he calls his situation, "The American Family".  I think I finally get why Koreans shun the double marriages (sister marries the brother-in-law of her brother...something like that), but if that happened in the Philippines, I guess we would not exist.  My maternal grandfather married his step-niece(but I have to explain that my lolo daddy met my lola mommy first...then my great uncle fell in love with my great grand mother, who was a widow for the second time(first husband was an Oliveros then after he died she married my great grandfather, Josephus Ludivicus Cauwenbergh of Belgium), after my lolo daddy introduced them then my great grandmother(of the Ponce de Leon/Fernandez/Rey clans of Palawan) reciprocated the feeling.  My grandpa married my grandma May 28 and a few months later, on November 28, my grandpa's brother married my grandma's mother--according to my uncle's book, 1931). Geez.  So I have nieces and nephews that are even older than I am and cousins practically the age of my parents.  Some of them are even older.  I have aunts and uncles who are also my cousins.  I have cousins who are also my nephews and nieces.  We simplified it by just being RELATIVES. ;-)

My Favorite Scene---thank goodness this scene "happened" long after that "You're nothing but a SUIT!" quip

There's something endearing about this latest remake of The Shop Around the Corner that makes me like it even if nothing really quite beats the original.  Maybe it's because it's based on modern times that I could relate to it more. Nah, the letters of the Stewart/Sullavan and the Johnson/Garland versions were more beautiful. I think it's because of the undeniable onscreen chemistry of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.  Yes.  That's it.  So even if I thought someone else could've played SAM in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (I finally remembered my short "reaction paper " about it), they are just beautiful together, even if it's just for the BIG SCREEN.  Their team-up works and that's what matters.  

I just wonder why, more often than not, the characters they portray are in unhappy(sometimes there's not even anything wrong, it's just boring) relationships then they find themselves being drawn to other people.  Oh well...

Anyways, back to the movie I am talking about, I must say that although not listed below, I love the dog who played Brinkley.  ;-)

THE CAST:
Tom Hanks as Joe "NY152" Fox
Meg Ryan as Kathleen "Shopgirl" Kelly
Parker Posey as Patricia Eden
Jean Stapleton as Birdie Conrad
Greg Kinnear as Frank Navasky
Steve Zahn as George Pappas
Heather Burns as Christina Plutzker
Dave Chappelle as Kevin Jackson
Dabney Coleman as Nelson Fox
John Randolph as Schuyler Fox
Deborah Rush as Veronica Grant
Hallee Hirsh as Annabelle Fox
Jeffrey Scaperrotta as Matthew Fox
Cara Seymour as Gillian Quinn
Peter Mian as "The Capeman"
Sara Ramirez as Rose, Zabar's cashier
Jane Adams as Sydney Ann, TV talk show host (Uncredited)
Michael Badalucco as Charlie
Veanne Cox as Miranda Margulies
Reiko Aylesworth as Thanksgiving guest




Alfred Kralik (James Stewart) and Klara Novak (Margaret Sullavan) are employees at Matuschek and Company, a general store in Budapest. Klara and Alfred are constantly at odds with each other, butting heads and disagreeing on almost everything. Both are enamored of their respective pen pals, who serve as welcome distractions in their lives. Little do they know, they are each the other's pen pal and, despite outward differences, have unwittingly fallen in love through their letters.- WWW

I was in the States when JIMMY STEWART died and I think, though I am not sure, we were watching the Wimbledon Open on TV when we learned about it. Yes.  I think it was around that time.  Something like that.  There were tons and tons of flowers that were placed on his Hollywood Star.  If I was born in his time, I think I would have a crush on him.  I don't know if I watched everything he has starred in, but I sure watched a lot of his films.  He is definitely an unforgettable star.  He was so good here as Alfred Kralik.

MARGARET SULLAVAN as Klara Novak, is beautiful and their love/hate relationship gave me the impression that sexual tensions happened from the beginning of time.


This 1940 original version set in Budapest  is my ultimate favorite.  I enjoyed reading the review below.  I share the writer's sentiments:

Roger Fristoe's Review of The Shop Around the Corner


Sigh...
Stewart and Sullavan


Read this one too. It's a comparison between You've Got Mail and The Shop Around the Corner: Take Two #16: The Shop Around the Corner (1940) & You've Got Mail (1998).  I got the picture above from that page. 


Info from imdb:

Directed by 


Robert Z. Leonard

Writing Credits  


Albert Hackett...(written for the screen by) &
Frances Goodrich...(written for the screen by) and
Ivan Tors...(written for the screen by)
Samson Raphaelson...(screenplay)
Miklós László...(play "Parfumerie") (as Miklos Laszlo)
Buster Keaton...(uncredited)

In this musical romance, lovely Veronica Fisher (Judy Garland) lands a job in Otto Oberkugen's (S.Z. Sakall) music store in turn-of-the-century Chicago. Though the other employees like her, including Otto's clumsy nephew Hickey (Buster Keaton), salesman Andrew Larkin (Van Johnson) -- who is threatened by her competition, and secretly attracted to her -- greets her coolly. Each of them is carrying on a romantic correspondence with an as-yet-to-be-met pen pal. They are both in for a surprise.- WWW
Yes, nothing beats the original, but I like this one too.  I love the songs and of course, the tension.  Even if I know what the ending would be,  I wondered what the twists and turns would happen in this version.  I love the songs too!

The scenes and the lines are timeless and my favorite ones are:


Psychologically, I'm very confused, but personally I feel just wonderful.- Veronica Fisher

  [pulling her close] Oh, Veronica, I love you so! Won't you open box 237 and take me out of my envelope?-Andrew Larkin (hahahaha, I wonder why I like this line) ;-p


The scene where Veronica was "Stood up" then Mr. Larkin came to "gloat"


THE CAST:

Judy Garland as Veronica Fisher
Van Johnson as Andrew Delby Larkin
S. Z. Sakall as Otto Oberkugen
Spring Byington as Nellie Burke
Clinton Sundberg as Rudy Hansen
Buster Keaton as Hickey
Marcia Van Dyke as Louise Parkson
Lillian Bronson as Aunt Addie

Liza Minnelli as Veronica and Andrew's daughter (in the ending credits)---SPOILER---hahaha!

Sometime ago, I watched all three of these movies at TCM and I finished all three without bathroom breaks.  Why did I have the time?  I didn't.  I was stumped and watching all three movies in a row somehow helped me.  I needed some noise while working, but ended up being enthralled with everything.  The trouble was, I had an appointment around ten in the morning and I was super sleepy.  I think I had three cups of strong coffee so that I could survive my day, but I didn't regret watching those three movies at all.

SHE LOVES ME (A Broadway Play)
PARFUMERIE (The LATEST adaptation of the 1936 Hungarian Play)
Parfumerie: A Comedy in Three Acts
'Parfumerie,' a 1936 Hungarian play, is an overlooked inspiration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)