Watching SLEEPLESS in SEATTLE for the umpteenth time ❤❤❤❤❤

“What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications.” 

― Nora Ephron quotes about life and love.




Sleepless in Seattle is a 1993 American comedy-drama film about a recently widowed man's son who calls a radio talk-show in an attempt to find his father a partner.-Wiki Quotes


No matter how much you watch a movie, there are new things you notice when you watch it again.  I have watched this movie countless times already.  Our situations are not the same, but somehow the story really touches my soul.


Today, I noticed the bit players' other lines that I never noticed, rather, heard before.  I heard them before, I'm sure, but maybe in one ear and out the other.

I even appreciated Becky(Rosie O'Donnel), Annie's best friend more.

Sigh.

I am just feeling a bit morose today and somehow this movie is helping to lighten up my mood.


“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”

― Nora Ephron

Directed by 

Nora Ephron

Writing Credits (WGA)  



Jeff Arch...(story)
Nora Ephron...(screenplay) and
David S. Ward...(screenplay) and
Jeff Arch...(screenplay)

Nora Ephron is really a great writer and director.  Her stories, more often than not, leave a mark in one's heart.  Her flicks are memorable and it's easy to watch them again and again without being bored.

WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT THE LEADING MAN?

I like Tom Hanks, but...

Maybe Tom Hanks is really more bankable than Bill Pullman, but if I were to choose who would play Sam and they were the only choices, I would pick Bill over Tom.  Oh well. 

Even so, like what I indicated above, I would never get tired of watching this movie.  It makes me laugh, it pulls some heartstrings, it makes me misty-eyed and gives me a feeling of joy every time the movie ends.

Right now, since I'm already in my mid-forties, a man like Sam could be perfect for me.

Annie: Beck, is this crazy?
Becky:  NO.  That's the weirdest part.
Annie: Thank you. I love you.
Becky: I love you too.

Storyline

From imdb:
After his wife Maggie passes away, Sam Baldwin and his six year old son Jonah relocate from Chicago to Seattle to escape the grief associated with Maggie's death. Eighteen months later, Sam is still grieving and can't sleep. Although Jonah misses his mother, he wants his father to get a new wife despite Sam having not even contemplated dating again. On Christmas Eve, Sam, on Jonah's initiative, ends up pouring his heart out on a national radio talk show about his magical and perfect marriage to Maggie, and how much he still misses her. Among the many women who hears Sam's story and falls in love with him solely because of it is Annie Reed, a Baltimore based newspaper writer. Annie's infatuation with Sam's story and by association Sam himself is despite being already engaged. But Annie's relationship with her straight-laced fiancé Walter is unlike her dream love life in the movie An Affair to Remember (1957). She even writes to Sam proposing they meet atop the Empire State Building on Valentine's Day. Written by Huggo



The characters talking about AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER(The 1957 remake of the 1939 flick called LOVE AFFAIR)
Rosie O'Donnell(Becky), Meg Ryan(Annie), Tom Hanks(Sam) and Rita Wilson(Suzy)

NICKIE FERRANTE: It's now or never.
It's now or neverIt's now or never
TERRY MCKAY: Never is a frightening word...
NICKIE FERRANTE: We'd be fools to let happiness pass us by. TERRY MCKAY: And just because you haven't... 
NICKIE FERRANTE: Worked? Doesn't mean to say I couldn't. No, of course not. Suppose I... It'll take some time, say six months, to find out if... 
TERRY MCKAY: If? If what? NICKIE FERRANTE: Well, just suppose... 
TERRY MCKAY: Now, be realistic. 
NICKIE FERRANTE: All right. If I worked hard enough and long enough, say for six months, where would you be? 
TERRY MCKAY: What are you trying to say, Nickie? 
NICKIE FERRANTE: I just want to be worthy of asking you to marry me. 
I just want to be worthy of asking you to marry meI just want to be worthy of asking you to marry me. TERRY MCKAY: Nickie, that's just about the nicest... Your voice cracked. (source)



Awwwwww...


Walter tells her, Look, Annie, I love you. Let’s leave that out of it. I don’t want to be someone you’re settling for. I don’t want to be someone anyone settles for. [...] Marriage is hard enough without bringing such low expectations into it, isn’t it?

Annie tells him, "Walter, I don't deserve you."
Walter teasingly tells her, "No, I wouldn't put it that way...
But ... okay."





Please read Dionne Galace's Review.   Even if I love the story of the movie, I share her sentiments. 


Barbara(Annie's mom): I was in Atlantic City with my family. Cliff was a waiter. He wasn't even supposed to work that night, and suppose he hadn't? He asked me to take a midnight walk on the Steel Pier. I've probably told you this a million times, but I don't care. And then he held my hand. At one point I looked down and I couldn't tell which fingers were his and which were mine. And I knew.
Annie Reed: What?
Barbara: You know.
Annie Reed: What?
Barbara: Magic. It was magic.
Annie Reed: Magic.
Barbara: I knew we would be together forever, and that everything would be wonderful, just the way you feel about Walter. Walter. It's quite a formal name, isn't it?.



(source)
The quote is from Annie's Brother, Dennis Reed
(source)


The Soundtrack (I have this)

Worst part:  "Jessica, this is your father..." (Oh, she didn't know?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)