Eto na! Musikal nAPO! (2019) #MusikalnAPO


(source:Rappler)

Written and Directed by ROBBIE GUEVARA
Music and Lyrics by DANNY JAVIER, JIM PAREDES and BOBOY GAROVILLO

"EWAN" Lyrics by LOUIE OCAMPO and Music by ROWENA ARRIETA

Introduction:

Have you, the ones that know I love watching musicals, ever wondered why I haven't blogged about the musical that showcased the songs of the APO Hiking Society?  

Well, I wondered too.  

I was spellbound by the music I grew up with, and the acting was great.

It featured MARK BAUTISTA(who reprised his role in 2019) who found his niche in musical theatre, and so many talented artists.

The songs were of course dear to my heart, and the lyrics of most of the songs are already embedded in my system.  

So why couldn't I write about it?

Maybe because of the effects of Martial Law, and how people are made to believe nowadays that only subversive people were making a "spectacle" of it.

After our "stint" in the US of A, and even when we already had a place somewhere in the South, we lived in Camp Aguinaldo.  Our nannies used the Metrocom to scare us, and told us to behave.

We didn't know what evil things were lurking outside gates of the Military Base we were living in.

When I was in High School at St. Scholastica's College Manila, I learned about things I didn't know about before.  I was made aware of the likes of LEAN ALEJANDRO (who died when I was in College...his van was rained with bullets---just imagine a mafia movie, and you would definitely be horrified).

My eyes were opened in St. Scho.  The man who was the best President who ever lived in my eyes suddenly became the enemy.  I couldn't even tell people I was a military brat, until I learned that there were lots of Scholasticans who were also military brats. It kind of scared me, so it affected my studies.  I know I was more capable than what I made people believe.  Good thing I had aptitude tests outside campus too, or else, I may have believed I was good for nothing.

Martial Law was already lifted that time, and the 4-day Revolution became a part of me.  A very, very vital part of me.  Thankfully, it was an unbloody one.  If blood was shed...

THE FEBRUARY 2019 MUSICAL

Casting all those painful memories of the 1970s behind, even if I was sheltered from the traumatic reality outside the walls of Camp Aguinaldo(or traveling abroad---my parents allowed us to go to Davao, Cebu, Zamboanga, but forbidded us to go to my dad's province in Quezon because of the NPA---even if we are related to some of them---for our protection---if ever dad allowed us to go to Quezon, it was only up to Lucena or Lucban...beyond those places was a no, no) I could now finally write about #MusikalnAPO .

I like Robbie Guevara's book, and he directed it quite well.  The songs were interweaved with the story smoothly.  The 1970s jokes in present time were...are funny.  The three love stories gave us cheap thrills.  My favourite pair was...is Sonny and Jane played by AL FRITZ BLANCHE and ROXANNE BARCELO.  I think, at least for us, Al Fritz has the most beautiful voice among all the great singers in this musical, and he and Roxee B looked like real lovers.  It was very believable.  Al Fritz, I think is good.  He has great chemistry with MARIKA SASAKI too.

The second best couple for us is Rick(FLOYD TENA) and Anna(MICA JAVIER).  After "the show", some lady in a wheel chair said Mica of the Andok's Manok empire was the weakest link.  Why, lady?  Why?  She has good chemistry with Floyd.  Even if Floyd is probably happily married(at the very least I know he's a dad), their duet(NAKAPAGTATAKA) in the rain is one of the best numbers of tonight's...er, last night's "show".  So why was she the weakest link?  I don't know you, so I wasn't able to ask you, but I'm wondering out loud.
We were all silently wishing it was Floyd who would play Rick (because we've seen Mark Bautista live already), Mica Javier to play Anna(because we like her), and Roxee to play Jane, just because she's Roxee B. 
Did we get what we wished for? 
Yes. We are so delighted. (Well, I got what I wished for...dinamay ko lang sila. Hahahaha!)
JEF FLORES will always be Jesus to me, even if he's the one who uttered the most expletives here.  :-)

I won't do a roll call anymore because everyone did great, and I might miss a name or two, but props go out to JOBIM JAVIER.  We can't believe that this is your first musical.  BTW, mom thought you're Marco Sison's son.  Mom, he's Danny Javier's son, Mica's first cousin.

By the way, this musical is not for kids.  Maybe it's R-13, or at the very least, Parental Guidance.  

It has lots of expletives, and topics that are very serious, and political. There were three friends who explored the world of psychedelic tripping, and so much more.

Marcos Loyalists may not enjoy this.

If you are willing to set aside political beliefs, please do watch this.  I am sure, even with the heavy scenes, you would enjoy this musical that would transport you back to the 1970s.

Kudos to everyone involved in this musical.

Here's this second wave's, for lack of a better term this moment, schedule of remaining shows:


February 22-24, March 1-3, 8, 

10 & 15-17, 2019, at 8:00pm on 

Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, 

and 2:30pm on Saturdays & 

Sundays.

For tickets, contact 586.7105, 

0917.554.5560, or Ticketworld 

at 891.9999.

Official Hashtag: #MusikalnAPO
Facebook: /9WorksTheatrical.



Eto Na! Musikal nAPO! Magbabalik nAPO sa February 2019!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)