RED SPARROW (2018) R-16 ---First of a trilogy

#Commercenter


Red Sparrow is written by retired CIA officer, Jason Matthews.  I haven't read the book, so there's no comparison.  I wasn't intending to blog about this because in my mind I've seen better with the same theme and premise, but here I am.  This is my two cents worth: It has a good story and the acting is impressive, especially Jennifer Lawrence's and Jeremy Irons' performances, but I just couldn't take the part where they kept on repeating, "You've fallen for the HANDSOME American."  My gees.  Joel Edgerton is not ugly, but he's NOT in the category of handsome.  It's in the eye of the beholder anyway and I don't mind the attraction. He does have a certain charm and there's more to him than his looks...His character Nate's  abilities and traits could make him alluring to Dominika's eyes and her heart, but for the torturer to keep on repeating it beats me.  Like what I said, I've seen better movies with the same theme. I know "they" wanted to show how these "sparrows" were trained in Whore School, but did they have to go to that extent? Organisations like that do exist, but it seemed to be the core of the story.  They intended it to look like it's going to be a series, but it'll depend upon the results of the tills, I guess.  It's a TRILOGY, so they are probably filming the sequels already because I learned that Matthews already sold the movie rights before the books were published.  Hopefully the other two would be presented better than the initial "offering".  I'll buy the books.  Maybe there I'll learn that the idea of calling Nate Nash a handsome American was Jason Matthews' idea.  :-p Maybe I'll like the story and Dominika better.  Maybe I'll understand Ivan or uncle Vanya better.   Anyways, dad said it's VERY realistic and he's a retired Flag Officer.  Who am I to say otherwise?  
From the WWW:  Prima ballerina Dominika Egorova faces a bleak and uncertain future after she suffers an injury that ends her career. She soon turns to Sparrow School, a secret intelligence service that trains exceptional young people to use their minds and bodies as weapons. Egorova emerges as the most dangerous Sparrow after completing the sadistic training process. As she comes to terms with her new abilities, Dominika meets a CIA agent who tries to convince her that he is the only person she can trust.
Initial release: 1 March 2018 (Germany)
Director: Francis Lawrence
Adapted from: Red Sparrow
Screenplay: Eric Singer, Justin Haythe
Starring:
Jennifer Lawrence
Joel Edgerton
Jeremy Irons
Matthias Schoenaerts
Joely Richardson
Charlotte Rampling
Mary-Louise Parker
Sasha Frolova 
Ciaran Hinds
Thekla Reuten
Douglas Hodge
et al


I never became a prima ballerina and I had years of training.  I shifted to jazz and my glory days are over.  I'm so rusty now. During my last solo performance my shoe flew.  My friends were so embarrassed. OMG.  

Jennifer Lawrence made us believe her being a ballerina even if she brutally trained only for a short time.  I guess if the scene were longer than six minutes, she would have collapsed before Dominika's leg was deliberately hurt by her partner. She played her part so well, but dancing ballet is a very serious thing, and to be a prima ballerina takes YEARS of arduous training. 


Since I've no right to criticise, let the experts do the talking:


‘Red Sparrow’ is a spy thriller with an identity crisis-Stephanie Merry, the writer of the review, loved and liked the book better.



‘Red Sparrow’ Review: A Spy Thriller That Explores the Brutality of Sexual Assault--by Matt Goldberg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)