Tomb Raider (2018)

(source)
From the Worldwide Web:
Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished years earlier. Hoping to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance, Croft embarks on a perilous journey to his last-known destination -- a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. The stakes couldn't be higher as Lara must rely on her sharp mind, blind faith and stubborn spirit to venture into the unknown.
Initial release: 7 March 2018 (Indonesia)

Ever since I've learned Alicia Vikander was going to be the new Lara Croft, I was psyched.  I was excited to see what she could offer.  I know comparing her to Ms. Jolie would be inevitable, so I conditioned my brain and my heart not to.  I watched it like I didn't know about the video game series and the two movies before this one.

This movie could be treated like a prequel or "origins" type of film, according to those people who were fortunate enough to watch this movie ahead of all of us.

My nephew was able to guess who the villain/villainess is right from the start. Maybe you would be able to or you already know it because you've encountered that person before.

Daniel Wu is one of my favourite martial artist/actor(things I've written about him are now somewhere in cyberspace) and I am pleased that he did not disappoint.  Well, he's no Jet Li/Jackie Chan/Andy Lau and the like, but he has his own charm and abilities.

Dominic West is effective as Richard Croft.

Walton Goggins is effectively annoying.

Kristin Scott Thomas is a chameleon.

All Laras are believable and even if she is no Angelina Jolie, Alicia Vikander is now Lara Croft.

Others, besides comparing this to the other LC movies also compared it to Black Panther.  They love BP and just call it or describe it as OK.

I guess I am one of those who like Black Panther more, but hey, for me this movie is more than OK.  It's not the best movie of the same theme, but it's good for a start.  I'm so excited on what the sequels have to offer. Alicia Vikander is good and hopefully, Daniel Wu would have more stunts or exposure in the future.

Alicia Vikander: There Aren’t Enough Women in the Tomb Raider Reboot




Commercenter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)