Loving Vincent (2017)

As a young girl I have always admired this bipolar artist who was accused of being a madman by people who did not know better.  He was a real genius only appreciated posthumously. (more below)
One of my favorite songs while growing up was Starry, Starry Night by Don McClean.   One of my brothers was a baby and I was practically one myself when this started becoming a hit, but I appreciated this more when I started dreaming of being a painter at the age of seven.  I was told I was a very bad artist crushing my dreams, so I really did not have penchant for creating beautiful works of art until I was in my twenties.

Never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something you know in your heart you can do.  Of course, sometimes it really is physically impossible, but more often than not, when people we love don't believe we could do something, we start believing it and...

Anyways, Vincent Van Gogh, had a very colourful life and my parents and I were pleased to see his type of art come to life on the big screen.  More than 5,000 artists applied, but only 125 artists were accepted.  

The movie is visually stupendous, but mom got nauseated at the start, but when she got the hang of it, she appreciated it more.  We had ideas about his life, but the way his life was presented through Armand Roulin's investigation, which eventually led Monsieur Roulin into military life, made us know the genius in a deeper way.  He, Roulin, was just a reluctant letter deliver for a dead "mad man".  Through his trip he got to know Vincent more, ergo, we got to know the Dutch painter more through this movie.  We understood him more and respected him more.

Marguerite Gachet loved Vincent even beyond death.  She would bring him flowers and displayed his painting of her playing the piano for more than forty years.  Marguerite was only nineteen when Vincent died(he was thirty-seven), but she never loved another.

Sigh, even if Vincent Van Gogh's life is an open book, I don't want to write the whole story here.

The movie comprising of the artwork, the story, the voice talents, the direction and everything else is truly wonderful.

It is worth your time and money.

Kudos to everyone involved in film,

The lyrics:
"Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)"

Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul

Shadows on the hills 
Sketch the trees and the daffodils
Catch the breeze and the winter chills
In colors on the snowy linen land

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free

They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

Starry, starry night
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze
Swirling clouds in violet haze
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue

Colors changing hue
Morning fields of amber grain
Weathered faces lined in pain
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand

Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free

They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night

You took your life, as lovers often do
But I could've told you Vincent
This world was never meant for
One as beautiful as you

Starry, starry night
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frame-less heads on nameless walls
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget

Like the strangers that you've met
The ragged men in ragged clothes
The silver thorn of bloody rose
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow

Now I think I know
What you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free

They would not listen, they're not listening still
Perhaps they never will
Mystery surrounds the death of famed painter Vincent van Gogh in 1890 France.-WWW
Directors: Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman
Written by the directors plus Jacek Dehnel
CAST:
Robert Gulaczyk as Vincent van Gogh
Douglas Booth as Armand Roulin
Jerome Flynn as Dr Gachet
Saoirse Ronan as Marguerite Gachet
Helen McCrory as Louise Chevalier
Chris O'Dowd as Postman Roulin
John Sessions as Père Tanguy
Eleanor Tomlinson as Adeline Ravoux
Aidan Turner as Boatman

added AFTER the OSCARS:

'Loving Vincent': The story behind the world's first fully painted film


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)