Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express (2017) PG

How Faithful Is Murder on the Orient Express to Agatha Christie’s Classic Detective Novel? A Breakdown(warning, the link has spoilers).

A lavish trip through Europe quickly unfolds into a race against time to solve a murder aboard a train. When an avalanche stops the Orient Express dead in its tracks, the world's greatest detective -- Hercule Poirot -- arrives to interrogate all passengers and search for clues before the killer can strike again.-WWW
Directed by: Kenneth Branagh
Screenplay: Michael Green
Music by: Patrick Doyle
Distributed by: 20th Century Fox

Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors.  Miss Marple and Monsieur Poirot were part of my growing up years alongside the Stratemeyer Syndicate's Carolyn Keene's NANCY DREW.  Murder on the Orient Express is one of the memorable ones, except some of the scenes of the book and the 1974 movie are quite hazy or I have mixed up the scenes already.

Honestly, when I was watching this 2017 version I kept asking my folks what was different with this version than Albert Finney's portrayal of Hercule Poirot.  It felt so different.  The "conclusion" is similar, but the twists and turns plus characterisations of the Dramatis Personae are different.  My parents could not remember. Well, that's understandable.  If I couldn't...well, non sequitur.  

What about the actors?  The ensemble is good.  I almost did not recognise Daisy Ridley (Mary Debenham)since she was playing a totally different person from her characterisation of Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  She is a bit older here, but like in Star Wars, she is in love with an African American (well, in Star Wars he is not exactly an African American) played by Leslie Odom Jr. (Dr. Arbuthnot) and you would get touched by how they truly love each other.

Johnny Depp is really versatile.  Here he plays Samuel Ratchett, the object of wrath...the victim or the victimiser?

Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot---different from Albert Finney's depiction, but I think I like his portrayal and I can't wait for DEATH on the NILE, the sequel

Penélope Cruz as Pilar Estravados--- not in the original story---well, her character is a combination of two Agatha Christie characters.  PC still "has it"!

Willem Dafoe as Gerhard Hardman--- in my humble of opinion, there are times his expressions are the same, but when he needs to be evil or lethal, he could be.  He could be kind, troubled or whatever else.

Judi Dench as Princess Dragomiroff and she plays it like real royalty.  I have much respect for her.

Josh Gad as Hector MacQueen---hmmm.  He's a good actor so I'd rather not say anything else about his portrayal of MacQueen.  He delivered anyway.

Derek Jacobi as Edward Henry Masterman---believable.
Michelle Pfeiffer as Caroline Hubbard---brava!  
Tom Bateman as Bouc---realistic

Olivia Colman as Hildegarde Schmidt---convincing

Lucy Boynton as Countess Helena Andrenyi---I almost believed she was frail in real life

Marwan Kenzari as Pierre Michel---good

Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Biniamino Marquez---I loved him in Magnificent 7...I am not changing my mind

Sergei Polunin as Count Rudolph Andrenyi---scary---he did well

Miranda Raison as Sonia Armstrong----conceivable ;-)

Face-Off: Murder on the Orient Express: 1974 vs. 2017


Is it worth time any money?

Just don't compare it to the book and the 1974 version or even the Adventure Time and the other versions.  Sit back, relax and enjoy the movie.  ;-)
 
Would I watch it again?  Maybe, but not anytime soon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)