The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

It's been nearly a decade since Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgård), also known as John Clayton III, left Africa to live in Victorian England with his wife Jane. Danger lurks on the horizon as Leon Rom (Christoph Waltz), a treacherous envoy for King Leopold, devises a scheme that lures the couple to the Congo. Rom plans to capture Tarzan and deliver him to an old enemy in exchange for diamonds. When Jane becomes a pawn in his devious plot, Tarzan must return to the jungle to save the woman he loves.
Initial release: July 1, 2016 (USA)
Director: David Yates
Distributed by: Warner Bros.
Music composed by: Rupert Gregson-Williams
Story by: Edgar Rice Burroughs, Craig Brewer and Adam Cozad

There goes my double standard(s) again.  I hate being objectified...In my defense, I am just admiring the guy.  I am not objectifying him. (Excuses, excuses!)



Critics may have little to nothing good to say about this film, but hey, Alexander Skarsgård is so hot and sexy in this film that I do not care if this film did not live up to the expectations of the critics.  The only goof that mattered to me was when he met his future wife, Jane Potter, and he didn't have facial hair.  Did he shave? How?  Or was he too young back then?  

There is something about this film that made me want to kill the villains and justify those thoughts in my head, but according to the Holy Bible, just by thinking about the sin is like doing it already.  Such a tall, tall...what's the word? Order?  Sigh.  Let's just say that I was too immersed in the film.

Margot Elise Robbie is beautiful here.  She, like some of the critics have described her, was semi-empowered.  She has some spunk, flair and other nice qualities as Jane, but she still had to be a damsel in distress, as orchestrated by Mr. Rom, wonderfully played by Christoph Waltz, whom I encountered in Spectre.

I noted to my mom that the countrymen of our ancestors were the antagonists/villains here. It happened in history and some parts, like Dr. Williams having proof regarding slavery/poaching/human trafficking really happened in the Congo.  They, the countrymen of our Belgian ancestors, also got "blood" diamonds, in the name of the King Leopold.  

Sigh.

The movie was good.  It made Tarzan more human and at the same time, he was also very kind to animals.  
When I was little I was hoping that the animals were treated like citizens of other countries and that we could really co-exist without harming one another, but of course, that's not the case.  It is survival of the fittest.  I'm just glad that this Tarzan did not have to kill animals just like that.  Animals were treated as friends.  He did kill a human because it killed his Ape Mother(that's a spoiler---but I did not give everything away).

He was also kind to the different African Tribes.  Of course, not everyone liked and loved him.  There were those who want(ed) him dead.

Oh well.  

All I know is that I liked the movie.  It may not be "perfect", but it served its purpose.  


0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

I saw some parents bring their kids thinking this is a movie fit for kids.  I wouldn't advise you to bring them, but if you must, I am sure you are ready for your role as guardians, etc.
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

This movie probably has a sequel.  I didn't stay until the end credits were over, but I am guessing...A spin off would be fine. Sometimes sequels kill the story, so they just reboot...sometimes that good, sometimes it's worse.




Roger Ebert's group reviews

Dr. George Washington Williams is a real person in history

Dr. Geroge Washington Williams is a real life historical figure.  Get to know about him more.

George deserves to have a movie in his own right








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)