Saving Mr. Banks (2013)




When I was a little girl I often wondered why Walt Disney changed all the endings and twists of popular fairy tales and the like. As I was watching this film, I understood.  He wanted to give joy, or at the very least, happiness, to everyone. Yes, the movie is only 95% true, more or less, making Pamela Lyndon Travers more human, added the very cheerful Ralph(and his daughter, Jane) to make her less obnoxious and did not mention her adopted son, Camillus. Yes, they did give P.L. Travers a spoonful of sugarcoating, but hey, it's the movies.  How real is reel? 

The screenplay, for me, was wonderfully weaved.  Kelly Marcel and her co-writer, Sue Smith, researched it well and gave P.L. Travers a heart.

Annie Rose Buckley overshadowed everyone.  Yes, Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks were the stars of the movie and they played their roles well. Paul Giamatti was even very lovable here, but little Annie Rose captured the hearts of the moviegoers, at the very least, in the cinema where I watched it.

My favorite scene was when she and her mother, Margaret, was at the lake and she said, "It's time to go home..."

She also reminds me of the very young Drew Barrymore in E.T.With her talent and her beauty, I'm sure she will go places one day.

Colin Farrell always plays his role well, and here he played a very sick young man who taught his children to dream, but forgot to wake up to reality.

Ruth Wilson was also very effective as Margaret, a lady born with a silver spoon on her mouth, who fell in love with a dreamer who eventually turned her life into some sort of nightmare.

Jason Schwartzman and B.J. Novak(who for me looks like Dick Van Dyke) played the Sherman brothers well, but it was Bradley Whitford's portrayal of Don DaGradi whom I related the most.


I hate to imagine what really transpired during those two weeks in 1961, but I love what I saw.

This is a good movie and it's truly worth your time, so I hope you would get to watch it.






reminds me of Drew Barrymore in E.T.

Annie with Colin (as Ginty and Travers aka dad)

LINKS:
Paul Giamatti
Don DaGradi
Bradley Whitford
PL Travers' Biography imdb
Is 'Saving Mr. Banks' too hard on 'Mary Poppins' creator?
Interview: Composer Richard Sherman on 'Saving Mr. Banks'
Mary Poppins
Ruth Wilson wikipedia
Saving Mr. Banks imdb
Saving Mr. Banks wikipedia
Jason Schwartzman imdb
John Lee Hancock
Kelly Marcel
Emma Thompson
Annie Rose Buckley to star in SAVING MR BANKS
Thomas Newman
John Schwartzman
Jason Schwartzman wikipedia
Tom Hanks wikipedia
B.J. Novak
PL Travers wikipedia


(source)



I thought the story was different when I saw this trailer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)