Everything, Everything (PG) 2017

Maddy (Amandla Stenberg) is a smart, curious and imaginative 18-year-old who is unable to leave the protection of the hermetically-sealed environment within her house because of an illness. Olly (Nick Robinson) is the boy next door who won't let that stop them from being together. Gazing through windows and talking only through texts, Maddy and Olly form a deep bond that leads them to risk everything to be together, even if it means losing everything.-WWW

Screenplay by J. Mills Goodloe
Based on Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Directed by Stella Meghie

CAST:
Amandla Stenberg as Maddy Whittier
Nick Robinson as Olly Bright
Anika Noni Rose as Dr. Pauline Whittier, Maddy’s mother
Ana de la Reguera as Carla, Maddy's nurse
Taylor Hickson as Kayra Bright, Olly’s younger sister

Our tickets
Critics and different sets of audiences didn't seem to like this film, like the other people at the Bonifacio High Street Cinema 1 at Central Square.  

The three of us liked the concept.  Mixing fantasy with reality, but honestly, I didn't like what it made Maddy's mother look like in the end.

Maddy loved giving spoilers so I wonder if I should give some too. Let me see if I do so along the way.

She's really very beautiful, but she looked so healthy that I thought that she was miscast or something.  It was explained that she exercised a lot and in the end you would say to yourself, "Oh, that's why she was the one chosen..."

This is Amandla Stenberg's(Rue of Hunger Games is a grown woman now)movie and she was so pleasing to look at.  Yes, I thought of John Travolta(Boy in the Plastic Bubble) when I saw the trailer and thought to myself is the story going to be the same, except that she's a girl.  Yes, I also thought of all those tragic movies(DYING YOUNG, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS plus those Korean TV series and tons of local ones), but I really like how light this movie was presented by the director, Stella Meghie and the screenwriter, J. Mills Goodloe. 

I liked the relationship Maddy had with her nurse, Carla(played by Ana De la Reguera who looks a bit like Paz Vega of Spanglish) and her daughter, Rosa.

I liked that Maddy was "prettier" than the "pretty boy" next-door, but I agree with one of the critics(below) that Olly was underwritten(not in anyway connected with insurance policies).

Sigh.

Times are really changing. The ones in the upper crusts are...

I think I like this change, but I don't think everyone does.

💖💖💖💖💖

THE OPINION OF THE EXPERTS(chosen ones---the ones that liked it):

Review: Everything, Everything is a bold, not-too-sweet take on young love



Review 

'Everything, Everything' has fantasy, tears and a radiant star in Amandla Stenberg


Rotten Tomatoes audience opinions(some liked it, some didn't)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)