King Arthur Legend of the Sword(PG-13) 2017



After the murder of his father, young Arthur's power-hungry uncle Vortigern seizes control of the crown. Robbed of his birthright, he grows up the hard way in the back alleys of the city, not knowing who he truly is. When fate leads him to pull the Excalibur sword from stone, Arthur embraces his true destiny to become a legendary fighter and leader.-WWW
King Arthur has many version and one of my favorites is First Night.  Of course, I love its idyllic version called Camelot too and I sing its many songs, time and again.  The Knights of the Round Table is ideal.  Even if Arthur is a King, he listens to the opinions of his knights and they have equal rights.

I watched this without reading the reviews first, and even with all the barbaric things and Arthur being a smart ass, I liked it.  I was disheartened to find out that a lot of people don't share my opinion. They call it a stinker.

Why did I like it?  It's because mages did exist or probably they still do.  Vortigern is character in history.  This movie has obliterated his "real self", but I believe, Jude Law did well, as he usually does.  Like what this Vortigern did in this movie, people did sacrifice the people they love...but even if he does (did) declare that he loves them, I don't know why the sea creatures believed him?  He loved himself more.  He loved power more.  Argh.

There are things I agree with what the critics say(won't say what) and I am thankful that  Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey is not Guinivere like what they said before.  She plays the role of the mage quite perfectly, so I am happy of her depiction...unless they are going to make her Guinivere in the sequel, because Princess Guinivere, who eventually becomes his queen, is indeed a student of Merlin...haist, I don't know.  Is that why Arthur said "those things"?  :-(  

I liked that they made George(Tom Wu) Chinese...after all, Chinese were and still are, all over the world.

The cast include(at random) David Beckham, Djimon Hounsou(even if Idris Elba was sorely missed, he did a good depiction of the character), Eric Bana, Freddie Fox, Annabelle Wallis, Aidan Gillen(whom I "hated" in The Maze Runner series), Craig McGinlay, Neil Maskell, Oliver & Zac Barker, Katie McGrath, Bleu Landau, Rob Knighton et al. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)