Calvin (Dano) is a young novelist who achieved phenomenal success early in his career but is now struggling with his writing - as well as his romantic life. Finally, he makes a breakthrough and creates a character named Ruby who inspires him. When Calvin finds Ruby (Kazan), in the flesh, sitting on his couch about a week later, he is completely flabbergasted that his words have turned into a living, breathing person. -- (C) Fox Searchlight
|Zoe Kazan||...||(written by)|
- Paul Dano as Calvin Weir-Fields, a young novelist who struggles with writer's block having not written a full book since his first publication at 19.
- Zoe Kazan as Ruby Tiffany Sparks, a woman who initially is a dream and inspires Paul Dano's character to write about her until she eventually manifests herself fully in his life.
- Chris Messina as Harry Weir-Fields, Calvin's older brother whom he confides in about the true nature of Ruby.
- Annette Bening as Gertrude, Calvin's mother.
- Antonio Banderas as Mort, the carefree boyfriend of Calvin's mother. Banderas took on the role for the opportunity to work with Bening.
- Aasif Mandvi as Cyrus Modi, Calvin's publicist.
- Steve Coogan as Langdon Tharp, a novelist friend of Calvin who he first met when his first book was published.
- Toni Trucks as Susie Weir-Fields, Harry's wife.
- Deborah Ann Woll as Lila, Calvin's ex-girlfriend who left him before the events of the film and has recently written her own book.
- Elliott Gould as Dr. Rosenthal, Calvin's therapist who encourages Calvin to write a page about anything not caring if it was bad.
- Alia Shawkat as Mabel, a fan of Calvin's who gives him her number at a book signing.
- Wallace Langham as Warren
- Michael Berry Jr. as Silverlake Passerby