Geostorm(2017) Parental Guidance





After an unprecedented series of natural disasters threatened the planet, the world's leaders came together to create an intricate network of satellites to control the global climate and keep everyone safe. But now, something has gone wrong: the system built to protect Earth is attacking it, and it becomes a race against the clock to uncover the real threat before a worldwide geostorm wipes out everything and everyone along with it.-WWW
Initial release12 October 2017 (Metro Manila, Philippines)
When GEOSTORM's first teaser, at least the first one I saw, was released, I said to myself, "What? Another disaster film? Another I told you so film? Another conspiracy theory?" I thought I was not going to watch it, but I thankfully I didn't say never.

Later, I learned about how Dean Devlin conjured this movie(I heard it on the radio, watched it on the news and read it on the broadsheet, then after the movie, I read about it via the WWW).  His daughter was then six when she asked him about climate change:


“In the simplest way, she asked me, ‘Why can’t we just build a machine that fixes it?’ That sparked all these ideas in my mind about what would happen if we did build just such a machine. And what if something went horribly wrong? That became the ‘what if’ story—what if we wait too long to deal with extreme climate change? What if we don’t? What if we could create this amazing machine to control the weather around the entire planet? And what would we do if it went rogue?”
I said to myself, I am guessing there's going to be a father-daughter thing and I love father-daughter flicks.

Well, I was right.  Gerard Butler's role, Jake Lawson, had a very loving relationship with his daughter, Hannah(Talitha Bateman), in this movie.

He had a strained relationship with his brother Max(Jim Sturgess), which I could relate to.  There was even a line there where I said, "That's true!" and my nephew agreed with me.

I was able to guess right who the "bad guy" or "bad gal" is almost in an instant, but had my doubts about certain people like maybe he or she is the mastermind and that person works for him or her.

The movie is well acted and the flow of the story is almost seamless.

It is in the very near future.  It could happen, and that's what's exciting about the movie.

The critics don't like the film.  They called it a "drab disaster" among other things and some are not even fit to be in this blog, but we liked it.  Maybe it's because we were so prepared not to like it that we actually did, even if the experts did have lots of great arguments.

Enough said.  After all, we are not experts about this genre. 

From Wikipedia:


Katheryn Winnick had been cast as Olivia Lawson, Jake’s ex-wife and the mother of Hannah, but during reshoots, her role was recast with another actress who hasn't yet been revealed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)