Sicario (2015)



Here it says R-13

In Mexico it means HITMAN

Written by Taylor Sheridan
Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Here it says R-16
Either way, it's NOT for kids. 
After rising through the ranks of her male-dominated profession, idealistic FBI agent Kate Macer (Emily Blunt) receives a top assignment. Recruited by mysterious government official Matt Graver (Josh Brolin), Kate joins a task force for the escalating war against drugs. Led by the intense and shadowy Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro), the team travels back-and-forth across the U.S.-Mexican border, using one cartel boss (Bernardo Saracino) to flush out a bigger one (Julio Cesar Cedillo).- WWW
  

Since it was the last day of my nephew's semestral break, we were supposed to go to places where he could play and learn, but this morning he opted to stay at home with his folks because he was hoping to watch the Peanuts Movie on Saturday instead.  He's not even sure if it's going to be shown in this country this Saturday, but...

Dad freed his schedule for today(my schedule is more flexible---as for mom, she is almost always free), so we had to think of contingency measures.  "Why don't we grab a bite, watch ANY movie, then go to the supermarket, then have some coffee?"

Mom and I agreed.

Dad was able to watch MOMENTUM aka The Professional with my brother, so that was out of the question.  We saw a poster with Emily Blunt wearing an FBI vest then checked the time it was going to be shown.  We had enough time to eat then hopefully enjoy the movie.  So we bought the tickets. (continued below)












After lunch we entered the cinema with only the synopsis for reference then just waited.

This is a poster for Sicario (2015 film). The poster art copyright is believed to belong to the distributor of the film, the publisher of the film or the graphic artist.



Last night I watched an old movie from TCM called HOUSE OF WAX(I wouldn't dare write a review or a non-review or a reaction paper) and somehow the first scenes at Chandler, AZ sort of reminded me of it.  

I won't go into details about the scenes at Chandler.  There are lots of people who already gave spoilers and you can check the links below for the technical aspects.  All I can say is that it was really very eerie.  I don't want to dwell on it because it's still giving me the chills.  

The scenes at Juarez, Mexico made the Policia Federal make the 'good guys' look like terrorists. The black Chevrolet Tahoe convoy was so conspicuous that made them easy targets for an ambush so I guess making the federal police scary was a good idea on their part. It is truly a mad, mad world.

☀☀☀☀☀

Emily Blunt was less glamorous here, but she was very impressive. I am convinced that she can play any role or any nationality with dominant Caucasian features. Probably with the right prosthetic or something, she could...I guess you get what I mean.  I could only hope.

Josh Brolin looked a bit different here, so I had to stare at him to convince myself that he was indeed Josh Brolin.  He is a true thespian. Besides being in his genes, he also hones his craft and it's very obvious because he gets better and better.

I did not see Benicio Del Toro, but instead, I saw Alejandro Gillick.  I felt his pain and sort of felt his fear when he was having nightmares.  He is a scary guy, but he is very, very human.  There will be a spin-off and he will become the main character.  I wonder what the story would be.  Would it be a prequel? I don't know, but I am interested to find out.  

The world is really scary and this movie would only give a semblance of a solution...of order.  True, there were those who weren't really happy with the movie as a whole, but more people were.

I hope the ones that would watch this movie would pay attention to the dialogue, most especially the ones from Matt Graver.  The last parts of the story are the best.  As a woman I would have wanted Kate Macer to... wait, if I say what's on my mind, then I would just give spoilers.  What can I do?  This was written by a man and directed by a man.  Still, morality aside, I was not disappointed with the way it was directed and how it was written so I could bravely say that a little more than two hours of my time was not wasted at all.

Kudos to the cast and crew!  (This movie, by the way, is an international blockbuster (hit, pardon the pun) and I can see why.)

Some of the cast:  




LINKS:


MOVIE REVIEW: SICARIO (2015)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)