Bridge of Spies(2015)

It doesn't matter what other people think of you. What matters is knowing you did the right thing. Jimmy Donovan to a trembling U-2 Pilot, Gary Powers


(Poster from Rotten Tomatoes)
Directed By:
Written By:Matt CharmanEthan Coen,and Joel Coen
Inspired by True Events
A dramatic thriller set against the backdrop of a series of historic events, DreamWorks Pictures/Fox 2000 Pictures’ “Bridge of Spies” tells the story of James Donovan, a Brooklyn lawyer who finds himself thrust into the center of the Cold War when the CIA sends him on the near-impossible task to negotiate the release of a captured American U-2 pilot. Screenwriters Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen have woven this remarkable experience in Donovan’s life into a story inspired by true events that captures the essence of a man who risked everything and vividly brings his personal journey to life. (source)

The first time I heard of James B. Donovan was when I was very young and his way of negotiating with world leaders, most especially Fidel Castro, was praised.   I never "followed" his career and I never "met" Rudolf Abel before watching this film.  All I knew was that this was a Steven Spielberg film starring Tom Hanks based on true events.  That's all.  I never saw a trailer or a review or whatever kind of teaser.  I guess that was just a well because I really paid attention to the film.

James Donovan: Aren't you worried? 
Rudolf Abel: Would it help? 

At first I thought I was going to be bored or confused because it seemed that way during the first part of the film.  Little by little my interest in the film grew and after half an hour, I was drawn to it that I even clapped towards the end of the film.  The last time I clapped was when I watched Heneral Luna.  The rest of the films I watched after that epic paled in comparison, but this period film set during the COLD WAR left a mark in my heart.

Jimmy Donovan is awe inspiring.  From an ostracized person to a hero to being one of the best negotiators that ever lived, it is no wonder if people would want to emulate him.  

I will try to read Strangers on a Bridge: The Case of Colonel Abel and Francis Gary Powers written by Jimmy Donovan himself one of these days.  

Let me leave the technical stuff again to the experts. Even if I don't agree with all of them, they have more credibility:



Cast from Wikipedia and imdb:
Published through ABS-CBN mobile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)