WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING (2012)

Inspired by the perennial New York Times bestseller of the same name, WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING is a hilarious and heartfelt big screen comedy about five couples whose intertwined lives are turned upside down by the challenges of impending parenthood. -World Wide Web


I am a rainbow baby so I know "expecting" is a misnomer, but this is still a very beautiful movie about different kinds of mothers.

👪👫💑💏👥👄

Nothing is really by accident, except maybe for mishaps...well, I don't really know.  What I know is that I never intended to watch this film.  Well, I'm in my mid-forties, I'm single and I haven't given birth, and I probably never will, so I was sort of iffy when this movie was being promoted a couple of years back.  Besides, a lot of things happened that year of 2012 that...Let's not go there.

How did I end up watching this film?

One day I was feeling tired.  I felt too lazy to read or write or even play games on the Internet.  I just wanted to sleep because my eyes were getting heavy.  Mom wanted to lie on my bed because dad was reading a book, and he was on a diagonal position on their bed so I went down to try to sleep in what my nephew calls "the big room".  When I arrived I saw my brother, Karl, having a movie marathon.  He was watching this film and I arrived when Cameron Diaz's role, Jules, found out that she was pregnant after winning that sorta kinda DANCING WITH THE STARS thing.

I told myself, "Yikes. He's watching it!" But I had nowhere to go.  I couldn't go to my nephew's room, and my room(it's now a storage room or something) was out of the question.  It was too hot in the living room, and the sorta kinda "garden room" without a garden wouldn't give me the privacy I needed, and I also couldn't go to the servants' quarters because they needed their privacy too.

"Alright.  I'll stay here. I'm too sleepy to watch this anyways."

I laid down on the king size bed. Thankfully, because of the size of the bed, both of us could fit on it with enough elbow room.

The topic really made me feel queasy because the Lord knows that I have prepared myself for motherhood ever since puberty, but it never happened.  If not for Salve, whom I have two grandsons with, and the people who call me mom, like Inggie, Judith, and Beckley,  I would be extra sad because I really want to be a mother so much.  I was advised by some liberal friends just to have a baby, but my semi-repressed self couldn't do it outside wedlock.  I tried.  I really tried to the point of being accused a tease.  My conscience, like those Safeguard TV ads, kept popping in front of me like a doppelganger so...

Let's get back to the movie.  I don't think you would be interested in...

Anyway, I started noticing the powerhouse cast,  and was hooked when Chace and Anna started making out.

As the story progressed, I saw myself in several characters.   I could relate to what they were undergoing and so much more.

There may be several annoying characters and scenes, but I realized that Kirk Jones, Heather Hach, Shauna Cross and Heidi Murkoff are geniuses. 

The issues are very real and no matter how mundane some scenes may be, those things happen in life.  

Skyler Cooper(Brooklyn Decker) seemed surreal, but I think I know someone as lucky or as blessed as she is.  She looked like a bimbo, but she was taking her being a mother and a stepmother to heart.

Oh, and I think I must mention before I go that I also love the DADDY WALKING CLUB, and how they watched each other's backs.

I'll watch this movie again one day.  After watching three disappointing movies(before watching Interstellar) last week that I couldn't write about, and a very funny movie(we laughed a LOT), but wouldn't write about(Let's Be Cops), I am glad that I was able to watch this movie.

#WTEWYE #Whattoexpectwhenyoureexpecting gives a light feeling to the people watching it.  I know I love watching movies that make one think, but people need movies like this one too.  

Directed byKirk Jones
Produced byMike Medavoy
Arnold Messer
David Thwaites
Screenplay byShauna Cross
Heather Hach
Based onWhat to Expect When You're Expecting
by Heidi Murkoff
Starring
  • Cameron Diaz as Jules Baxter, a contestant on a celebrity dance show and a host to a weight-loss fitness show, who becomes pregnant with her dance partner's baby
  • Jennifer Lopez as Holly, a woman who adopts a baby from abroad with her unwilling husband after difficulty conceiving
  • Elizabeth Banks as Wendy Cooper, Gary's wife who becomes pregnant after trying for 2 years. Runs the The Breast Choice Boutique.
  • Chace Crawford as Marco, who reunites with an old flame (Rosie) after a turf war between their respective food trucks
  • Brooklyn Decker as Skyler Cooper, the wife of a much older man named Ramsey who becomes pregnant with twins
  • Anna Kendrick as Rosie Brennan, who reunites with an old flame and fellow food-truck owner and becomes pregnant unexpectedly and has a miscarriage
  • Matthew Morrison as Evan Webber, who teams with Jules on a celebrity dance show and the father of her baby 
  • Dennis Quaid as Ramsey Cooper, the husband of Skyler
  • Chris Rock as Vic Mac, founder of the "dude group" and father of four.
  • Rodrigo Santoro as Alex, Holly's husband who's in music business and is not ready to have a child
  • Ben Falcone as Gary Cooper, Wendy's husband and son of Ramsey
  • Joe Manganiello as Davis
  • Rob Huebel as Gabe, a new parent who adjusts to "fatherdom" by bonding with other dads in a city park-based group that is part play group, part secret society
  • Thomas Lennon as Craig, a father who joins Vic's "dude group"
  • Amir Talai as Patel, a father who joins Vic's "dude group"
  • Rebel Wilson as Janice, an eccentric employee at The Breast Choice boutique
  • Wendi McLendon-Covey as Kara, Holly's co-worker and friend
  • Dwyane Wade has a cameo as himself
  • Whitney Port has a cameo as herself
  • Megan Mullally has a cameo as herself
  • Cheryl Cole has a cameo as a TV dance talent show judge
  • Tyce Diorio has a cameo as a TV dance talent show judge
  • Taboo has a cameo as a TV dance talent show judge
  • Kim Fields plays a social worker who helps out a couple with an adoption
  • Jesse Burch as Hutch Davidson
  • Mimi Gianopulos as Molly, Rosie's funny roommate who comforts and supports her
  • Génesis Rodríguez as Courtney, Rosie's roommate
Music byMark Mothersbaugh
CinematographyXavier Pérez Grobet
Edited byMichael Berenbaum
Production
company
Distributed byLionsgate Films
Release date
  • May 18, 2012 (days before my brother, RJ, died)  
#selfhelpbookisreal
#movieisthefictionalizedversion
#jenniferlopez
#camerondiaz
#elizabethbanks
#annakendrick
#rebelwilson
#pregnancy
#adoption
#miscarriage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)