Grace of Monaco (2014)



Official Italian Poster
Written for the screen by Arash Amel


Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace of Monaco
(source)

MY OPINION:  Nicole Kidman is one of my favorite actors, but I  believe she was miscast as the very saint like Princess Grace of Monaco.  Her eyes are very fierce, even if she's very beautiful and elegant.  Tim Roth was likewise miscast because he lacked the appeal of Prince Rainier.  If I was not familiar with the great Grace Kelly and her prince charming, I guess I could say that they both acted well.  Unfortunately,  I was one of those fascinated with their life beyond the fairy tale.  I could not imagine that the person Nicole Kidman portrayed was "the" Grace Kelly and the person Tim Roth portrayed was Prince Rainier III himself.  Thankfully for both of them, although this is loosely based(which, in my opinion, is a very abused term for biopics) on true events, this is more fictional than real.  

With the word FICTION spelled in capital letters dancing in my mind, I relaxed and enjoyed the movie.  I just pretended that it was a Disney Princess movie with some Erle Stanley Gardner whodunit flair.  It worked.  I psyched myself to like it, so I did. 

"Fairy tales tell imaginary stories. Me, I'm a living person. I exist. If the story of my life as a real woman were to be told one day, people would at last discover the real being that I am."- Princess Grace of Monaco


What did I think of the other important characters?

Since it's hard to take note of everyone, I'll just mention a few:

Paz Vega was ever beautiful as the famous opera singer Maria Callas, Parker Posey effectively played her part as Madge Tivey-Faucon and Frank Langella made me sorta kinda believe he was friar Tuck...er, Father Francis Tucker
Where this was based: 
 According to Biographer Jeffrey Robinson, Princess Caroline was shown a script before filming, thought it was meant to be a comedy, then realized it was simply fiction. She went through the script with a red pen to correct things that were blatantly wrong, but Dahan was no longer interested and refused to make any changes. -Wikipedia



GRACE OF MONACO is focused on the personal story of former Hollywood star Grace Kelly during a dispute between Monaco's Prince Rainier III, and France's Charles De Gaulle over tax laws in the early 1960s. Nicole Kidman stars as Grace Kelly with Tim Roth as Prince Rainier III.-

from
From WB Youtube page:  

Published on Mar 6, 2014

"Grace of Monaco" in cinemas June 6
Set in 1962, six years after her celebrated Wedding of the Century, "Grace of Monaco" is an intimate snapshot of a year in the life of the twentieth century's most iconic Princess - Grace Kelly - as she strived to reconcile her past and her present, a yearning for a return to the big screen with her newfound role as a mother of two, monarch of a European principality and wife to Prince Ranier III.

For more content, visit the Warner Bros. Insider and the official YouTube playlist:
http://po.st/Insider
http://po.st/Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)