10,000 Hours



From imdb
This movie is loosely based on the life story of former Senator Ping Lacson who is now the rehabilitation czar of the places that were slaughtered by Super Typhoon Yolanda aka Haiyan.

10,000 HOURS is an action-packed thinkers movie.  When I watched this movie, I set aside the fact that it was based on the former senator's plight and treated it as a pure work of fiction.  Still, with a few hitches, it was as real as real could be. 

The scenes in Amsterdam brought me to the edge of my seat.  It was if I was a real bystander or perhaps, a stalker, watching everything while it is happening. Probably because of the familiar places, et cetera.

Yes, it was not perfect, but it deserved its best picture award compared to the other movies that are playing in this year's MMFF.


Robin Padilla is not just an action star, but is also a very good actor.  He is very convincing as the young looking Senator Gabriel Alcaraz whose quest to expose the truth was being prevented by a person more powerful than him, President Genovia Obrero. Alden Richards, gave life to the younger version of the senator, did a great and convincing job too.

Bibeth Orteza as the corrupt Lady President was outstanding. There were times I wanted to kick her butt here or even pull her hair even with her mild mannered way of talking. Yes, that's how good she is.

Pen Medina is no doubt a very versatile actor.  In this film he was not Pen Medina, but the police informer SEBASTIAN JAGO himself.  Like Mr. Padilla, Mr. Medina deserves his best supporting actor trophy.  I felt his frustration, fear and all other emotions he wanted to convey.

Bela Padilla as the beautiful TV reporter was also very good here.  She seems to be confident in playing her role.  When she shared the scenes with veteran actors, she didn't cringe at all.  I don't know why, but while watching her here, I pictured her playing roles like Angelina Jolie plays.  Bela, along with Neil Arce, Peter Serrano and Bb. Joyce Bernal, wrote the story. What can I say? I am now a fan, if I weren't before.  Not everybody agrees with me, I know, but hey, this is my personal space. Since she is one of those who wrote the story, I think she acted the way she imagined her role. That's that. 

Michael de Mesa as Director Dante Cristobal is without a doubt a good choice for the role.  I couldn't imagine anyone else playing that role.  Maybe, like his son, Geof, he could try to speak without a lisp, but somehow, that adds to his charm. Joem Bascon, as always, gave a breathtaking performance as the young Cristobal.  As versatile as he is, I'm sure he would never run out of projects.

Mylene Dizon as Mrs. Anna Alcaraz fitted the role to a T.  You can feel her pain, distraught, despair and fear.  She's really one of the best.

Carla Humphries can be a bitch and she could also be endearing. Here, as Isabelle Manahan, who works at the United Nations in Amsterdam.  Her character Isabelle owes a lot to Senator Alcaraz.  She also gives him sound advice.

Cholo Barretto, Winwyn Marquez and Markki Stroem play the children of the Alcaraz couple...oh to have to live with the stigma of being Alcaraz's children.  All I can say is that they played their parts well, but may I add a compliment for Winwyn? She is now not just Joey Marquez and Alma Moreno's daughter.  :)  She definitely in class of her own.

Ketchup Eusebio needs to have a bigger break.  He can be funny, yes, but he needs more roles like the one he played in DUGONG BUHAY. 

EVERYONE should be given a standing ovation, even those I did not mention here.  



GIRL POWER!

This is so far the best work of Bb. Joyce Bernal.  She is one of my favorite directors in this country.

Keiko Aquino lives up to my expectations with the help of Ryllah Epifanio Berico or is it the other way around? In any case, they collaborated well. (Screenplay)

Marya Ignacio is a very good editor.  If ever there were itty-bitty lapses, they were so minute that we hardly ever notice them. 

Marissa Floreindo should be given a standing ovation. She did her job as a cinematographer well.

Teresa Barrozo chose the music well.  Haunting, exciting, thrilling, endearing, et cetera, et cetera.

Kudos to everyone involved in this film. 





Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)