Two Stories of Two Jakes who feel they are some sort of saviours or knights in shining armour of damsels in distress



Kailan Sasabihing Mahal Kita? (1985)

A marriage which started on the wrong foot, compromised by her boyfriend agreed to marry family friend in order to save face. In turn he entered into marriage to get away from his aggressive clinging girlfriend. But the truth was that he was really in love with her but lacked the nerve to tell her. He saw the marriage of convenience as the best way to win her.- source

Sharon Cuneta as Ara
Christopher De Leon as Jake
Cherie Gil as Arianne
Joel Alano as Henry
Delia Razon as Henry's Mother
Romeo Rivera as Henry's Father
Liza Lorena as Ara's mom
Eddie Rodriguez as Bob
Timmy Diwa as Jun
Armida Siguion-Reyna as Mama/Mommy (of Jake)

with

Paraluman
Encar Benedicto
Deborah Sun

plus others


Loving Leah (2009)

To honor an ancient custom, a doctor (Adam Kaufman) agrees to marry the widow (Lauren Ambrose) of his older brother.
Initial release: 25 January 2009
Director: Jeff Bleckner
Original release: January 25, 2009
Music composed by: Jeff Beal
Story by: Pnenah Goldstein

Starring:
Adam Kaufman as Dr. Jacob "Jake" Lever
Lauren Ambrose as Leah Lever
Ricki Lake as Rabbi Gerry
Susie Essman as Malka
Mercedes Ruehl as Janice Lever
Tonye Patano as Emily
Christy Pusz as Carol
Donnie Keshawarz as Raj
Jolly Abraham as Priya

et al

This is a blog entry about two movies I watched in one day by chance.  The first one I've seen on the big screen before because I almost never missed a Sharon Cuneta film in the past.  I was stumped with something I am ghostwriting for someone that I just wanted some inspiration when I came over these movies online.  See how stumped I am with this kind of sentence construction!!!!!  

The truth is, I played the Sharon Cuneta/Christopher De Leon movie first and when the movie was finished, LOVING LEAH immediately played.  

I was shocked to find out that even if the two stories are worlds apart, both male protagonists have the same name and both of those Jakes seem to have a Messianic complex...at first.

Eventually, those saviour types for the women they think or thought they are saving ended up being (sort of) saved by them.

The situations are different.  Very, very disparate. 

The Sharon Cuneta movie written by Orlando Nadres and directed by THE Eddie Garcia, is about a closed-minded father who did not listen to his staunchly conservative daughter when she said "nothing happened" to her and her boyfriend Henry Ortiz.  He was so focused on his reputation that he was even willing to send his innocent daughter to the lions' den. He is so narrow minded.  He cares about what OTHER people think more than his own daughter's happiness.  I bet Eddie Rodriguez was silently squirming because I don't think he ever treated his daughters(I know about Sheina, but I'm not sure if Angel is a woman or a man) that way.  Even so, he played his role so well that maybe I made him turn into his grave or something because I was so mad at his role.

Jake, a family friend who is very much older than Ara(Sharon's role), but definitely younger than the scary looking man(sorry sir, but it's your role even if you must be a kind person in real life) her father set her up with, decides to save his nineteen-year-old friend of the family(he is in his late twenties or early thirties in this movie...the people describing him weren't certain).



Dr. Jake(Adam Kaufman)Lever's brother died and left a childless widow named Leah.  Although Levirate Marriage is not practiced anymore, the traditional Jews or ultra religious ones, still do the Halizah.

As you guessed it, both Jakes, who both were committed to other people before being involved with Arra or Leah, eventually grow in love with the people they are supposed to be saving.  Wait a minute.  I mentioned this before already.  What the hey? I'm just reiterating it for emphasis.  

Jake/Jacob is a supplanter...one who grasps at the heel.  It's not Jesus/Yeshua (deliverer or saviour), so I wonder...

It's a coincidence?  Maybe or maybe not.

Watching the two movies consecutively is the coincidence and that I am sure of.  Or am I?

😉




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Watching Again a favourite movie during my High School Years: BAGETS(1984) and its sequel BAGETS 2(1984)