Live By NIght (R) 2016


 (source)
It's the Roaring `20s and Prohibition hasn't stopped the flow of booze in an underground network of gangster-run speakeasies. The opportunity to gain power and money is there for any man with enough ambition and nerve, and Joe Coughlin, the son of the Boston Police superintendent, long ago turned his back on his strict upbringing for the spoils of being an outlaw. But even among criminals there are rules, and Joe breaks a big one: crossing a powerful mob boss by stealing his money and his moll.  -WWW
Release date: December 25, 2016 (USA)
Director: Ben Affleck
Adapted from: Live by Night (Coughlin series by Dennis Lehane)
Screenplay: Ben Affleck     Music By: Harry Gregson-Williams

my ticket

The film has mixed-reviews and I want to be honest that I read the spoilers before watching the film.   It was just as well, because I appreciated the film more.  Normally, I don't want to know everything before watching, so there'll be some excitement, but since watching this was not really an option, I wanted to have a "driving force".  Most of the reviews did not help much.  It made me want to say, "Sorry, but let's just watch another film."  I chose to watch The Return of Xander Cage the first time the subject was brought up, but between this and Split(John McAvoy's multiple personality movie---my friends love it and kept raving about it, so I would probably watch it too), I thought this was a better choice. So I prepared myself for the worse.  When I read the whole thing in Wikipedia, I wasn't too shocked with the events that happened with Loretta and Emma.  It was easy to understand how Joe loved Graciella, even if the reviewers called Ben's acting "cold"...they even said that he lacked emotion...something like that.  They kept comparing this with Argo, Town and other great Ben Affleck films.  Acting wise, he was definitely better in The Accountant, but I think the reviewers/critics did not cut him some slack. I mean most of them, because a few of them still thought it was worth watching.

Of course, there are those who read Dennis Lehane's books and surely, they love the book and hate the movie.

It's not the best Ben Affleck movie, but it's not as bad as they described it.


Live by Night review: It's not Goodfellas, but it is great entertainment

Live By Night review: Ben Affleck's mob drama is nearly kiss of death

Review: “Live By Night” by Gary Dowell

Review from Variety.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

Atonement (2008)

Moments of Love (2006)