Chinatown (1974)



Chinatown was the first movie that exposed me to incest(Oh my, did I spoil it for you?  There's more to it than that, believe you me!).  I watched this in the Betamax format when I was about ten years old and  I just couldn't fathom that because I am blessed to have a father who protects.  The ending gave me the chills and I could not stop crying.  I was morose.

Robert Towne, the screenwriter, earned a lot of accolades because of this movie.  He is doubly blessed because when he wrote the script, he had Jack Nicholson in mind and his wish came true.  

I thought I was not going to watch this again, but my folks were watching this the whole time I was multitasking. 

Oh shucks.

Every scene was quite interesting.  I just don't get Jake Gittes' pose exposing his armpit after making love with Evelyn.  Was there a message that the director, Roman Polanski, was trying to convey? If so, I am clueless.

John Huston, besides being one of the greatest directors of all times, is also a great actor.  I really hated him while I was watching this.

Sigh.

I don't think I want to go on babbling, but I'll say this.  Even if this is such a tragic piece, it was beautifully made and is worth watching.




Popular posts from this blog

The Giver (2014)

J.K .Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (a Harry Potter Prequel) First of a Trilogy

Sana Dati: A bittersweet story with a beautiful ending (Another thinkers' movie)