Akeelah and the Bee (2006)


a short note before I start: Tomorrow is the VSAP Youth Sportsfest, and I'm in charge of preparing questions for the "mental agility" game. I'm halfway through, but honestly, I'm stumped. I've been too preoccupied to have begun this days ago, so I just started this morning. My head ached and my eyes started itching that I decided to take a break. It was a good thing that I did because I was able to chance upon this 2006 film called AKEELAH and THE BEE.



Starring: Angela Basset, Laurence Fishburne and Keke Palmer
Other Genre: Drama, Education, Rivalry, Friendship, Neighborhood, Sportsmanship etc.
Producer: Lionsgate
Written and Directed by: Doug Atchison


Anything is possible as long as you're determined to do it. When a very sad thing happens in your life, you don't shut yourself from the world. Instead, you reach out to others and focus on something. That something may be your stepping stone to something great.

That was what happened to Akeelah Anderson(Keke Palmer), an eleven year old African American who lost her father at a very young age of six. She was downtrodden because she loved her father so much that she lost her reason for being, but her sadness was alleviated when she was persuaded by her principal to try out on the spelling bee instead of detention (because the principal knew she was really a bright young girl).

She met Dr. Larrabee (Laurence Fishburne) who trained her.  He became her mentor...her friend.

🐝🐝🐝
I like the friendship of Akeelah and Dr. Larrabee. When this present world is filled with maniacs and demented people, the friendship of Akeelah and Dr. Larrabee was special and pure.

Angela Bassett was also effective as Tanya. Sean Michael Afable was good as Dylan (her rival), Tzi Ma was "moving" as Dylan's father (scary too) and JR Villareal as Javier was very, very adorable.

Another thing I liked about this movie is the love and support of the neighbors of Akeelah. IT IS POSSIBLE.

Yes, yes. Akeelah knew the meaning...the definition of TRUE LOVE through her friends and family.



It's out on DVD now.

Come and grab a copy now (or check the Star Movies schedule)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What did I feel about the ending of MEANT TO BE? (GMA 7)---plus some thoughts about Encatadia and DTBY

EX with BENEFITS (2015) R-13

Atonement (2008)