Some facts from the Wikipedia:
Avatar is a 2009 American science fiction film written and directed by James Cameron, and starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaa, Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang. The film is set in the year 2154 on Pandora, a fictional Earth-like moon in a distant planetary system. Humans are engaged in mining Pandora's reserves of a precious mineral, while the Na'vi — the sapient and sentient race of humanoids indigenous to the moon — resist the colonists' expansion, which threatens the continued existence of the Na'vi and the Pandoran ecosystem. The film's title refers to the remotely controlled, genetically engineered human-Na'vi bodies used by the film's human characters to interact with the natives. Avatar had been in development since 1994 by Cameron, who wrote a 114-page scriptment for the film.
Filming was supposed to take place after the completion of Titanic, and the film would have been released in 1999, but according to Cameron, "technology needed to catch up" with his vision of the film. In early 2006, Cameron developed the script, the language, and the culture of Pandora.
He has stated that if Avatar is successful, two sequels to the film are planned.
MOVIES I WATCHED
- My favorite lines weren't the ones Sharon uttered. It was Ciarra Sotto's (Carol, the eldest daughter) lines that wrenched my heart.
- Speaking of "Heart" :-P, Ms. Love Marie Payawal Ongpauco more popularly known as Heart Evangelista(Stephanie, the brat) proved that she is indeed bankable and a very good actor. She was even better than the Mega Star herself. If she were nominated as best actress, I'm sorry...even if the Mega Star's acting was of high caliber, for she was great indeed, Heart was even much, much better.
- I had a favorite Sharon scene. It was when she, Melinda, slapped Olive(ZsaZsa) then eventually boxed her. I'm sorry, Lord (and ZsaZsa), but I enjoyed that.
- Dennis Trillo is a revelation here. He definitely is more than a pretty face.
- Boots Anson Roa is Boots Anson Roa. A Classic.
It would have been a perfect film except for the sing-song lines of some of the bit players.
3. NOBODY...NOBODY BUT JUAN
- I love Angelica Panganiban since she was a little girl. She's really a great actress. I was really impressed when she played the lead in Santa Santita. She's so good that I believe she can forgo all those sexy scenes and she could still be bankable.
- The story weaving was good, but there was a scene there that reminded me of Luis Manzano in "In My Life". LOL. Did he have to say goodbye that way? (Who? Watch it so you'd know)
- Of course, Laurice Guillen is laudable, as ever.
- Kim Chiu was impressive here too. This young lady has a bright future ahead of her.
- Derek Ramsay's eyes are very expressive and they were enough to get the message across. He did his job well!
- Gabby Concepcion, who was Kim Chiu's dad in this movie, of course, was good, except during the part when he was declaring his love to Angelica's role, Lizelle, then he wrapped his arm around her neck...it looked like he was about to throttle her neck or something. I think it ruined the supposed to be a very loving scene. Plus, I think it would have been more meaningful if he did the scene in Tagalog. Hehehe! Anyways, he's so handsome and so nice to look at that I guess some people overlooked it. Gabby Concepcion is definitely an eye candy! ;-)
People say it's overrated. Maybe they just expected more from it, but it's OK. There were just some parts that were unnecessary, that's all.
Kudos to the cast and crew!